Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Can't pass on the city runs only works with limehaul. Trust me I tried

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fuelinmyveins

Nov 13, 2017
    PA

tenor-3.gif

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Mike2633 and misterG Thank this.
  4. Fuelinmyveins

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Once again they put a CMV ban on most major highways in PA for today so we can't operate. I keep burning up my personal time so I can get paid for at least 8 hours. Unreal

Apprently we should get anywhere between 5-8 inches of snow and later that will turn into freezing rain. Wonderful

Hopefully they will have some work on Saturday

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. Fuelinmyveins

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Some of our dock workers sure like to live dangerously. Yesterday I came back with a full trailer from a swap. I just popped the breaks and I already hear them in the back opening the door and driving inside the trailer. What if I had to do a pull up? I know it's a hot freight and linehaul drivers have to leave at certain time, but let me unhook from that trailer first. FFS

McUzi Thanks this.
  6. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    I know I hate when they do that. I always make sure there’s nothing hooked to the trailer I’m about to pop open.

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  7. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I got a bit of a serious question.

I just got done delivering to a customer. I noticed an open box truck (below Class B weight but DoT number on the door).

Inside the cargo compartment was a large pallet of flammable liquids all shrink wrapped and banded together. Hazmat stickered with UN printed on the diamond. The pallet which weighed over 2,200 lbs was not strapped in. What also struck me that no portion of the truck had any placards on it

A 19 year old kid on a forklift hopped off and asked me why I was staring at it so I explained some concerns.

Turns out he has brought up my concerns as well and his management brushed it off. The kid was transporting this hazmat did not have a CDL or hazmat endorsement. He received no formal training on handling hazmat. He wasn't even sure if he had any paperwork to go with the load other than the work order. He was also told to "play stupid" if he was ever pulled over. Apparantly he has hauled this type of load on a almost weekly basis.

I basically told him he was gambling with his license and possibly freedom. I am sure there are more than a few federal laws he was violating. His boss also laughed at me when I brought it up to him.

What are your guy's thoughts? Am I like over reacting or is there some kind of exemption for hauling this much hazmat if you drive a smaller truck?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    speedyk, misterG and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What kind of packaging was it? I’m wondering if it was limited quantity.

Maybe that’s the justification someone is trying to use, no matter how wrong I personally think it is.

Wouldn’t get me to do it, and I can’t blame you for bringing it to the young buck’s attention. Even if the prick he works for doesn’t care, at least show the kid the regs so he can see for himself. He has a right to know.

9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Had the boss took serious issue with it, and made an effort to give a #### about something so serious, I’d have brushed it off.

Laugh in my face? Get screwed, I’ll drop the dime on you right now.

misterG and speedyk Thank this.
  10. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I don't think it would classify as limited quantity. These were black five gallon pails filled with some kind of flammable liquid stacked four or five rows high on a pallet .

I've hauled them before when I ran LTL and we always placarded our trailers . I don't know. I've been wrong before, but this seems very sketchy having all this flammable material sitting in the back of a box truck . He said he hauled two pallets are a time. He's gotta be pushing 4,500 lbs , if not more.

misterG, speedyk and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  11. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Just delivered a package to a bank marked dangerous/poison. They didn't wanna sign for it I think they were nervous it was freaking 10lbs of soap that's hazmat for some reason

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.