Rant: The 5-days-in-a-row workweek is arbitrary and my body doesn't agree with it

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gone4truck, Jul 26, 2021.

1. gone4truck

gone4truck Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2021
    I found that, for myself, working 5 days in a row takes its tool on my mental and physical health. I do not feel alive; instead, I'm a drone working 5 days straight, yearning for the weekends to get a break from the routine.

I decided to go "part-time" and only work 4 days in a week, 2 days in a row.

Mon-Tue

Off Wednesday

Thur-Fri

Off Sat-Sun

I love being a local truck driver. But even so, working 5 days in a row was making me hate my job: I was burning out. I don't think we are meant to focus solely on one thing for long periods of time, even the things we like and enjoy.

With my new schedule, I love going to work. I come in refreshed, energetic, with a good mood. Even working 12-14 hours shifts don't take its toll on me.

Wednesdays, my mini-weekend, it's a "Me day". Get up late, make tea and a bowl of ramen. Watch youtube, browse reddit. Lay in bed and just chill, take naps. Go to the gym...or for a hike...or a bike ride. Do some light cleaning at the house, whenever I want and for how long I want.

Sat-Sun, my big weekend, I do fun family things with my wife and daughter. Go to the zoo, the water park, eat a restaurant, visit friends/family, etc

Previously, when I was working 5 days in a row, I didn't have the energy to do anything on my off days. My weekends were mostly to recover from the days I had just worked... and to get mentally and physically prepared to do it again the next week.

To conclude, there is something magical for me about only working 2 days in a row. The 5-in-a-row workweek is arbitrary and my body doesn't agree with it.

Drivers, you do you: do what is best for YOU, find your balance and set boundaries with your employers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    I didn’t read all that but I only work 3-4 days a week.

4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Heck why not just do 2 day workweeks and 5 day weekends lol.

5. gone4truck

Jun 13, 2021
    I'm not there yet. One day thou...lol

slow.rider and bzinger Thank this.
  6. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I say they should just pay you to sit home. Why have to actually work for your paycheck.

7. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Meh i go stir crazy without my 6 day work week. Tried a 4 on 3 off week and it drove me nuts. To each their own

8. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    So basically working is hard on you?? No wonder we got people sitting at home and staff shortages....people dont wanna make the sacrifice of working 5 days.....

9. gone4truck

Jun 13, 2021
    Might wanna work on your reading comprehension. I said working 5 days in a row was hard on me ;)

But why stop at 5 days...why not be a good boy and work 7 days a week? lol

I find it intriguing the way you worded that --- "make the sacrifice" --- whatever the hell that means. Sacrifice health and wellbeing for extra $$$? You do you, I do me. How about that? No need to be a judgemental prick.

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    If it wasn’t for the plant breaking down, I’d have worked 2 weeks in a row, if it hadn’t been for 1 day off the following weekend, it was 9 weeks.
    I used to go out when I was OTR 4-6 months before I’d come home for 2-3 weeks.
    27819954-EDBC-43E9-AC8D-909CF1E58A2B.png

Says it all.

JolliRoger and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.