Rant: The 5-days-in-a-row workweek is arbitrary and my body doesn't agree with it

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gone4truck, Jul 26, 2021.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Well, the article posted certainly has an axe to grind on the matter as well, so i wont fault you for recognizing your bias, but try this on for size

Saw blade x costs 50$, makes 10 cuts an hr

10 years later saw blade z costs 50$, makes 15 cuts an hr.

Same saw operator is 1.5 x more productive, but the raw technology (better blade) at the same cost is what made the whole difference, and to a sawcutting operation, its not like the operator should earn any more, they dont do that much more, maybe push the buttons a few times more an hr. Its not like its more work, but more cuts have been made. This helps a volume based operation, but if its a fixed production amount, the operator is simply wasting time if theres nothing to shift to. So now operator works 26.66 hrs a week, company makes the same whereas before the operator worked 40 hrs a week. More productive employee, less hours, less total wage even if hrly keeps up with inflation/cost of living, which translates to "higher efficiency" for the company

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Those kids working 2 days a week would be on meth or cocaine to slow them down, they are natural workaholics, one of my sisters is similar, same as my dad. Personally, i dont begrudge them what they choose to do, but id rather not work more than i have to to keep my family fed clothed and occasionally have some more fun, i need me time too, something they never or rarely have

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    All the money in the world won’t buy back the time spent making it.

Speed_Drums, Mototom and skallagrime Thank this.
  5. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    You put it more eloquently than i did

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
  7. Jenkins2020

Jenkins2020 Light Load Member

May 28, 2020
    hah, I work 6 days in a row, 9 hours each day driving local. It feels no different than being OTR. Only difference is that I get to sleep and shower/poop at my own place. Basically my own permanent truck spot. The 1 day off I get is just more work.(yard, groceries, laundry, cleanup, errands, etc)

the money is the only reason I'm not burned out from it. Everytime I feel like quitting i look at my upcoming paycheck and smile

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    my boss absolutely did not like it when i told him i was retiring. he said i was "irreplaceable",

that might be true, about 2 years after i retired?

the company closed up..

true.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don’t think that was all you, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he couldn’t find enough people worth the paper their paychecks are printed on once the old hands started hanging it up.

Crusader66, SoulScream84 and bzinger Thank this.
  10. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Can't say I've put any places under by leaving; but I still get calls from my previous manager from the oilfield in Colorado, as well as my "driver manager" from Wilson. As Mike put it "all I had to do was send you a dispatch, you took care of everything else, or let me know within 10 minutes why it wouldn't work."

11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I know Morehouse wasn't real giddy when I told them of my plans to partially retire late this year and sell the truck in late 2025 but they did say I was welcome here in whatever capacity I choose until I hang it up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.