Rarely seen creature that eats porcupines captured in video

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Atrail camera in the Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge in Maine captured video of a “secretive and elusive” fisher cat that came sniffing around in the snow.

The rarely seen creature is “a kind of weasel like a mink or river otter that inhabit boreal forests throughout the northern U.S. and Canada,” the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service stated in an Instagram post showing the video. “These skilled hunters favor porcupines and snowshoe hares, but would also feed on insects, nuts, berries and mushrooms.”

In fact, the fisher cat is known to be the most successful predator of porcupines, according to the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.

A post shared by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (@usfws)

“I’ve lived in Maine for 30 years but have never seen one,” one commenter wrote on Instagram. “We hear/see evidence of them and know to keep cats in at night.”

Also on FTW Outdoors: Rare animal spotted twice in one day—but not in Yellowstone

Said another, “They are very scary and lethal hunters of pets.”

“Agreed,” concurred another commenter. “I accidentally startled one in the evening going to my car in northern Vermont and the guttural growling warning sent me high-tailing it back inside.”

[​IMG]
    © Provided by For The WinRarely seen creature that eats porcupines captured in video
    The Herald Sun reported that wildlife officials in Maine track the fisher population trends by using trail cameras and snow tracking.

“Fisher tend to be more nocturnal and active during dawn or dusk in the summer and may be more active during the day during the winter months,” the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife stated. “They tend to be shy and elusive animals and are rarely seen.”

Or as the USFWS put it, “Fishers are usually secretive and elusive, making this trail camera footage from Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge in Maine pretty spectacular!”

Photo courtesy of the USFWS.

Boondock Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Boondock

Boondock Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Cool, kinda looks like a badger or a wolverine.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yeah, they are in many areas of New England, frankly i never heard of them either until about 10 years ago, the state DEM sent out warnings to the rural areas to keep your animals in the barns, chicken coops, etc, and your pets inside from dark till morning.

they WILL KILL anything, and not just for food, like some predator's.

Boondock Thanks this.
  5. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Hmm, what's left of the porcupine has gotta hurt when exiting
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Flat Earth Trucker and buddyd157 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.