Rate quote

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Boss Trucker, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Boss Trucker

Boss Trucker Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2012
    My nephew works at a Ford car lot, he’s the parts manager. He has been paying $3000 on a 750 mile trip and now his broker Wants to increase to $3600 for the 750 mile trip. His loads are van, no hazmat and are not over weight. Has anybody seen or been paid anything like this for van freight?
    I’ve seen some bills from time to time showing what the shipper paid for the load and I wasn’t getting anything close to that price. I’m running step deck but thinking about jumping on the van wagon and carry this load once or twice a week.
    Any help with this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Need waaaaay more context. From, to, circumstances on the run... etc.

4. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Yes prices like that exist every day. Simple answer - call 3 carriers and get there bid for that exact job.

5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    It sounds like the freight broker wants a raise. As long as you aren't a client of the brokers and your nephew can help you get the gig, you'd be nuts not to make a play on it. Yes $4.00 or more per mile loads can be hard to find, and when you get an opportunity like that, do whatever it takes to make it happen. Tell your nephew you'll do it for the existing rate.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, make sure there isn't a 10 hour wait on each side of that run....

Paddlewagon Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Weight, commodity, PU and DL times? Area it picks up at and delivering to? The prices are about to jump up within next few weeks

PPDCT Thanks this.
  8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    This. The above posters are missing a lot of context, and that affects such fun things as, "can the broker cover the load?"

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local

10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I won't give the full details but within the next month my dad will have his #s re-instated and he's buying another eld exempt mack and 2 53 ft dry vans to run light 7,000lb loads of what most would call bottom of the barrel dry freight, 325 mi up into mass for 1500$. That's over 4.60/mi for general freight. And its only 7000LB and dedicated run.

Its on the brokerage side of the company I used to be a company driver for. As many loads as we can handle they said.

They company my dads leaving that he was leased to did these loads so I can post rate cons for those who call bs.

Loads of plastic pipe are usually tmc back haul to get back down south for cheap. Not on a Nealon transportation flat its not cheap, 4.20 mi same with Frito lay loads d-h that they can't cover with their drivers.

windsmith Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    From my perspective, as a cargo hauler, it also matters if a load is easy. For instance, if the pick up and delivery is within open window appointment and the likelihood of detention is low; the cargo itself is not high value and don't need to worry about leaving the loaded truck over the weekend because of a potential theft or the deadhead distance from the delivery site to my parking is small etc.....I might be all right to take it by a less amount than someone else would otherwise, especially, if it gets me back home quicker by a day or so. It may look from a stranger point of view, that I took that load from MD or PA to IL too cheap, but the fact is that I made my money going over there and back - hauling is only supplemental. Sometimes even completely omitted - I prefer to deadhead 600-700 miles to get back home for the weekend than sit there for 2-3 days and wait for 1.50- $1.85 a mile back haul deal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.