Rates are coming down

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Aug 15, 2021.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    That's their job. Your job is to run them up. Nothing new.

blacklabel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bamanation

bamanation Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    Isn’t it interesting that brokers for the most part move in unison. Unlike O/O’s that will cut their on throat and that of others just to spin their wheels.

4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Remember a couple of major shipping ports out of China had to close down due to Covid infections. That slows down everything.

5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    That makes sense but I'm seeing a very slow week this week (rates as well as volume has dropped) and I don't pull any Chinese goods on my flatbed.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  6. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    East Coast is still jam packed at the ports. One of my regulars is across from the port. Took me 30min the other day going the final half mile from all the containers lined up waiting to get in

7. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    There is no doubt load volume has dropped in open deck. With that comes the rate drop. I always love to read when someone says it has not affected them.
    All that depends on where you are and what you haul.
    The economy pops and we will see who still says it hasn’t effected them.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I don't think brokers act in unison. The market just has trends and we all fall somewhere in at different times. It's our economy and it is a big global beast.

If you think that brokers act in unison then you are probably just noticing that on load boards. Load boards consist almost entirely of forgotten freight, that's what the spot market is and why load boards exist. It's a sector of shipping but not at all a majority of it.

I'm sure most brokers would rather have everything on contracts and know the freight is moved and what kind of $$$ will be coming in tomorrow but that's not how things play out in real time. Trucks break, people flake, customers change their plans.

9. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Well when the OP says he's searched all over the country and different kinds of trailers he's basically saying rates are down everywhere for everybody. Which obviously isn't the case because midwest dry van is still going as strong as it has for months.

But hey good prediction saying when the economy pops it will affect us......

staceydude Thanks this.
  10. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Lolol. Glad you took note of my predictive skills.

11. RubberDuck473

RubberDuck473 Light Load Member

May 2, 2021
    Texas
    All this talk about recession, rate/freight drops, oversaturation, etc, my question is: how long do trucking industry recessions usually last? Would now be the perfect time to be a company driver and save up all your pennies til the supposed recession is over, then cash in on a new truck and go O/O during the upturn?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.