Rates are crashing and fuel to the moon!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Meanwhile back at the overvalued Ranch. I ran a 7 day week, Grossed $8300, spent .$3200 on fuel. $2.59 all miles. Not too bad. Took a loser weekend load to get home for a Drs appointment. That Knocked Me down to $2.30 pm all miles. Final was $9900 for 10 days running, total of 4283 miles. Clearing $5700 after fuel. Drs. appointment wasn’t great. I gained 15 lbs. blood pressures up 20 points. Slept for about 35 hrs. Lol. All in all it’s a tough hustle. Every penny earned. That’s the best I could do. Still beats counting on someone else for a paycheck. Taking 5 days off, till Friday. Probably should have taken a 1500 round mile trip offered today for $3500. Net would be $2000 after fuel. But I never do what I’m supposed to do. I do what I want, play it by ear, everything always works out, one way or another.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Nice, can’t lose in your area either. I miss the winding roads and lakes. Wife hated being stuck “way out there” Lol. After 20 yrs. I gave in. Now it’s block after block of neighbors, and every store within 3 miles. I hate it, except when I need parts, or a tool. Lol.

dwells40, Gatordude, RefMata and 4 others Thank this.
  4. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Average price for a single family home in Toronto last year was $1.2m. And for that you get a 2 hole ####house built in the ‘50’s on a lot the size of a postage stamp.

dwells40, Gatordude, RefMata and 3 others Thank this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    And millenials and gen z are expected to buy that on a single $75,000 income so the wife can stay home with the kids. If the wife makes the same or more money, then the man is "weak".

Gatordude, RefMata and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    They might not have as much trouble if they didn’t think internet influencer is a profession. I’m not sure how much their $1500 cell phones, $300 running shoes and $6 Starbucks habits play into it, but it’s probably measurable.

Jed2009, Last Call, dwells40 and 6 others Thank this.
  7. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I try to refuel every trip in the morning. At times, I have no time, so pay more for gas later in a day.
    But, that is what I do.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    It's all about priorities. You might have Starbucks but then cut on food throughout the day. Most overeat anyway. Coffee keeps you going and alive.

My wife formed a ritual of getting to Panera Bread almost each morning. LOL But she doesn't overspend on clothes, etc. She says I'm the spender. Things need to be done around the house, truck, cars, etc.

She likes to plan short road trips around states each year. Now, the gas still makes more worth it than flying the whole family. (We didn't buy tickets one year in advance due to COVID.)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    My older son played video games. But he's a responsible young adult. He started work once he turned 16. He has been on honor roll. And he got his future kind of figured out. I am going to pay for his degree if he keeps his grade point average above 3.0, though I told him it needs to be 3.5. He does spend time with his friends. My younger though IS addicted to games. He spends a lot of time home by a computer screen. BUT he's above average. His GPA is above 4.0 in every subject. I don't know what he is going to do. He's good in everything, but he says he doesn't love anything. Hopefully, he will figure it out in high school. He is more on a lazy side doing things at home, but when it comes to his studies, he's able to set an alarm clock at 6:00 am to make sure he got everything done for school. My older son changed mostly through high school. So, I do believe my younger one will also mature more during that time. Time will tell...

10. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    Gorgeous.

Rideandrepair and JonJon78 Thank this.
  11. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    That's where I'm at in Pennsylvania. I'm deadheading 2 Ohio. These loads out here headed westward don't pay enough to cover the fuel costs, I can get nearly double the rate bouncing the 250 miles empty... Sounds like a no brainer 2 me :)
    Screenshot_20220615-124221_EFS CardControl.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.