Rates are crashing and fuel to the moon!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Screen shot, or it didn’t happen. Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

God prefers Diesels and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I hope this will suffice, lol. This tab in my workbook is only set up for all miles since I started the company two years ago, and editing it on a cellphone is a pretty huge pain in the butt. So I had to download the workbook from OneDrive and do it the old fashioned way.

20220730_182224.jpg

5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Here's what I'm dealing with on the phone for reference. It's not fancy, because it didn't need to be.

Screenshot_20220730-183455_Excel.jpg

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    The anywhere to anywhere search is the feature I miss. I've been trying DAT. They don't have as many flatbed loads.

Rideandrepair and Dirk Diggler Thank this.
  7. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Ok, you pay your drivers $0.20 per mile thats why your costs are lower lol

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Yes, hard work is in direct customers. You are spot on. Those brokers pay the company not you directly. You are negotiating as their agent. Just like a dispatcher. Good skills to roll with.
    Guy with own authority using spot market and factoring is really not performing much business. Not a free ride as they give up their business duties to others. Remember leased on is an employee. You work under a motor carrier. It’s their show, leased on is just hired help. Nothing more. Without the carrier you couldn’t even haul freight for profit. AB5 is just the beginning. If you mess up a load it won’t be you paying 80k. If your bosses insurance doesn’t pay up, your boss will have to legally write the check if the carrier is held to an agreement. Leased on is a free ride. Good deal to be in these days of liabilities. Driving the truck is just the easy small part. When you hear of guys struggling these days it’s often guys using the spot market and a dispatch service. Some guys that don’t like to start a business deal with a shipper or receiver. Click and ship the scraps of the market.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I'm a bit surprised by the riff between Dave and Midwest here. I respect each for their success and resourcefulness used to get where they now are despite taking different routes. That goes to many that have contributed to this thread.

A successful small business is one that provides the principals what they desire. There is no wrong way if that is accomplished.

10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I couldn't agree more ^^^^^

@God prefers Diesels, I dig your 'bookkeeping'. That's how I do it too mostly, pen and paper I mean. I keep very thorough records but I've got to be honest, most are on paper. I am super paranoid about what I call my black notebook that sits on my dash always. That and the accordion file I keep in the back. My whole trucking business is in those two things. I have a laptop of course but it's all backed up in the cloud. If the truck catches fire I'm grabbing my backpack (money and EDC), my notebook and my accordion file. The rest can burn.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve never gotten to that level, still using the paper notebooks. Technology wins the game today. Old and slow loses. I can’t compete. Good Job. Best to You.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.