Rates for loads in Canada and going across the border?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Oso, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Hi all - I'm not an o/o, but I'm trying to get an idea of what general freight rates are like.

Question 1. Are rates better going cross-border? Do you think they justify the hassle?
    Question 2. Do you find that the rates for runs through the mountainous states justify the extra fuel cost? Or do you earn less money on those? (I'm thinking of the North East here).

Yes I realize that the more specialized you get, the better the rates are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    The rates are similar on each side of the border as far as being a Canadian owner/op. Some are good, some are bad. Some think they save lots of money buying US fuel, but don't forget that you're still paying in Canadian bucks, and our money is worth squat compared to the American dollar. Also, the banks skim a further exchange fee on top. So you don't save as much as you think. Also, since are money is fairly worthless, unless you hop down and back with just one night away, you have to buy food and drink, and whatever else you need on the road at truck stops that charge way too much, all in US money. They won't take your Canadian at most places in the States, so always make sure you have a credit card with you. Yes, you can go exchange your money at a bank up here first, but again, they'll take your money to do so. Also, you can only drive for 11 hours down there as opposed to 13 up here. Less miles per day means less money. You also have to constantly calculate your IFTA and road taxes while running down there. Yes there's phone apps that will do it for you. Those get paid with your Canadian money too. If you break down and need parts and repair, you will save some money compared to the rip off prices and labor rates up here. Those savings, even with the exchange, can help. But you better declare all that you spent when you cross the border coming back, because our border is all about tax. And that agency has computers that talk with the CRA computers. Try and write it off on your taxes, and they'll audit you for not paying the taxes when you came back. Don't forget to get extra medical insurance because your Canadian one stops at the border.

All that being said, everybody has different circumstances and running costs and details. Each should work the numbers and come to their own conclusion.

Oso Thanks this.
  4. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that Can/US rates were significantly higher than domestic rates (I've heard that general freight rates on the Montreal/Toronto corridor are particularly low.) After all, not everyone has a clean record that allows them to easily cross the border.

So from what you've said, it seems that if you are going to travel into the States, it's best to stay within a day's travel. Less time in the US = less expenses.

Canucklehead Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I'm from Ontario and the cross border reefer work is better paying probably 90% of the time.

The rates to go over the mountains more than justifies the extra fuel cost. The key to short runs is lining them up one after the next. Time starts working against you if you don't.

Oso Thanks this.
  6. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Out west is BC the rates to go through the mountains are exactly the same as running on the flat. We lose big time.

7. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    So where do you run and what's the most profitable for you? What doesn't work for you?

8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I do a mix of long and short and daily.
    November to end of July typically the big triangle. Or on to pa nj ny etc but lately doing big triangle more.
    August Sept Oct home daily reefer run. I like the mix up. However I would like even more to do out 1 day or 2 then home steady outside my August to Oct stuff. Working on it.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    No northeast rates suck...... stay in Canada......

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  10. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I'm a lease on O/O doing LTL/FTL with a 53'ft Dry Van.

Anything to do with BC Is terrible, literally anything (coming in from Canada, leaving to Canada, coming in from the US, going to the US, Intra BC doesn't matter).

I make my best money doing FLT into California, and LTL pickups in Sacramento/LA/Vegas and back to Canada.

FLT in and out of Arizona is also doing well right now.

Foodstuffs in and out of the Carolina's are good money, but the Road Taxes and Weights can get a little on the high side.

I do my best to avoid the NE.

US fuel on EFS Cards with exchange/discount/fees and such, is still 35% cheaper than buying fuel in Canada. (Except some parts of Ontario, if you're on Commercial Rack Pricing, Retail Cash to retail Cash, you always win in the US).

To get the best bang for your buck in the US on food/drinks/etc, Get a "no foreign transaction fee" Visa card, I have one through RBC. I get the same rate, as if i went to the bank and exchanged money. The prices and deals in the US (esp Montana/Oregon, with no sales tax) are amazing. I can load my truck with food and a case of monster for $28 dollars US.

Just my 0.05c

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  11. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Big triangle? What's that? I know some guys do ON to Eastern Canada to the US....

Also, do you guys find that the loads are heavier in Canada? Is there more call for tridem work? Or do you find that most of your loads cube out first? (I know this is a really general question. I guess I'm trying to figure out whether it would be better for an o/o to own a tridem or tandem van/reefer.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.