Rear wheel hopping and front drive axle spinning

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by greaseburner, Oct 22, 2017.

1. greaseburner

greaseburner Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Have 1994 W900 quad axle dump truck. Having a couple of issues with it, so thought I'd ask it here and see if we can get some clarification.

I've been told that the power goes to the rear wheels first and then if the differential lock is flipped on, the front drives will engage.Is this the case?

If so, then what would be the possible cause of the front drives spinning when getting stuck until diff lock is engaged?

Also, when going around corners the rear drive axle seems to kinda be hopping. Kinda like it was a full locking posi, but there's not posi lock on the rear drive. What might be causing that?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If the truck has air ride on rear ends it may be set too hi or not able to reset its ride hight due to a bad air ride valve?

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The axle hop in turns in the rear most axle means you are not dumping air bags to allow that axle to sort of float. I recall from my spread axle days with a Ravens we had a dump valve to deflate the suspension on that rear axle as it pivots on the forward one that is still inflated, effectively raising the whole trailer onto the front axle to pivot. The rear axle will sort of shimmy and shake as you come around which is way better than tearing the tires up trying to pivot with the whole thing on the ground.

Im not certain about drives. In my experience the first axle gets power first. The next axle is generally a bogie for weight purposes. It DOES have power to it, but as a helper. If that one spins, there is a good chance there isnt enough for the front drive to pull and you stall.

Im less worried about the drives behavior than I am the suspension problem.

5. greaseburner

Sep 13, 2013
    New air ride valve. truck is near level

6. greaseburner

Sep 13, 2013
    Air bags are dumped at every time load is dumped, but this happens when on the road empty. This is on the tractor, as there is no trailer.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Power goes to both diffs equally. Power driving only one diff is a very common myth and I don't know why people keep spreading that BS. The reason your front drive axle spins first is simply because it has less traction than the rear diff.

8. greaseburner

Sep 13, 2013
    I was thinking same, but had several other truck owners swear up and down otherwise. Then when you engage the dif lock, it applies power to both directly and doesn't allow slip. Thanks

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's not exactly BS. Ive had trucks that did the front spin as well. This is where the interlock came into play. And escalate to chain if needed.

Some of the worst problems happened in the lightest of icing on tiniest of slopes vs the biggest of docks. It's ridiculous calling for a tow to get it the last 50 feet.

To the other, I appreciate the clarification on single truck no trailer. Ours had a tag axle on the front of the drives which needed raising at times prior to turns. The rubber would not take it when loaded and down.

10. cmrdev

cmrdev Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Front diff spins without the lockers engaged on my triaxle dump and every single triaxle I ever driven. Maybe it’s a Pennsylvania thing. To get my rear diff to spin I have to lock it in. I’ve been in mud snow and whatever

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.