Recent Grad , choice between 2 jobs.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Alan Pleasant, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Alan Pleasant

Alan Pleasant Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2018
    I am a new CDL holder and I have been offered a local job ( 45 min drive ) 5pm to 5am , 9 hours working on an unheated dock with 3 hours driving between terminals.
    OR........
    OTR with a big name company, 2 months of team driving with a trainer, then solo.

The thought of a 45 min drive to work then 9 hours on an unheated dock is really pushing me to the OTR job.
    I am 50 years old and kind of beat up ( bad knee ) . I have no debt except for a $125 motorcycle payment and a $130 mortgage ( small house bought after the crash ).
    I know only I can make the decision but would love some input.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Dock work is no walk in the park. I did it for years in my 20’s, and even I had days where I felt like I could barely walk at the end of the day. Add in the commute you mentioned and the driving between terminals and that just doesn’t sound very appealing to me.

Plenty of out-of-shape guys are doing otr so I am inclined to think that would be the better choice, but don’t know about teaming with trainer for two months... I wouldn’t want to do that but that’s just me. Maybe keep looking for a happy medium?

4. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I did see a OTR guy in his 30’s with his belly hanging below his shirt. Don’t know how appealing that sounds to me. I’m 41 been doing Foodservice for a year and half with a unrepaired(no insurance at the time)Torn ACL I did years ago. Foodservice is way harder then dock work. Atleast your on a forklift. If it’s a job that will lead to a longer driving then I’d rather be home. Teaming for two months with a guy you don’t know doesn’t appeal to me. Tight quarters you’ll be smelling his farts. Rather take my chances on the dock. A lot of good LTL companies love dock experience especially places like UPSF, ABF, etc..

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I wouldn't even consider dock work.
    Where is your location?
    Which state do you live in and nearest city?
    Which company are you considering for OTR, maybe we can offer more choices.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  6. Alan Pleasant

Sep 29, 2018
    I am in the midwest......where it gets very cold.
    Xpo and Prime

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Get a OTR job and find a truck with a Automatic transmission. (With a manual mode controllable by your selF) -note to readers, I am cursed with a last letter of a word that refuses to settle into correck english. The value of my further posts tonight depends on if I can find a replacement keyboard.

At 50 you are going to hurt. As of Jan1 this year you cannot be on pain medicine at all.

You need to be clean generally 7 days and nights before someone will certify you bakc to work.

8. Alan Pleasant

Sep 29, 2018
    I am single , don't really want to put all the miles on my personal vehicle. After working 12 or 14 hours I think I would rather crash in my truck than drive 45 minutes home only to hurry up and try to eat ,sleep, get up and drive 45 min again to do it all over. And since I have my CDL I will not be locked into Prime for a year , If I don't like it I can always keep looking.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Midwest:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Eowyn Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Midwest, huh?
    You have a couple dozen choices:
    Don Hummer Trucking
    Magnum Ltd.
    Halvor Lines
    S&S Transport
    Freymiller
    Transport America
    Schuster
    Butler Transort
    CFI - www.dfidrive.com
    Navajo Express
    Celadon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Freymiller : www.drive4freymiller.com
    DO YOU HAVE YOUR CDL BUT NEED EXPERIENCE?
    Freymiller has designed a Finishing Program for new CDL holders to get you the road experience needed to become a successful solo driver!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schuster Trucking Company - out of LeMars, Iowa. Blue Bunny Ice Cream is the biggest account. I've seen their trucks here in Las Vegas. It's a coast to coast reefer outfit.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    • 2,500-3,000 practical miles per week
    • Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
    • Wellness Program
    • Matching 401K
    • Rider Program
    • Pet Friendly
    • Assigned Trucks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.