Recession 2008-2009

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ronjeremyjr, May 29, 2020.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I’d say stay on the couch. Nothing to haul out here.

Deere hunter and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The flatbed at my apartment went out this week. Was back in 3 days and parked again. Out Sunday and back before Wednesday morning work.

Deere hunter and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I have one driver who is going to break 15,000 miles for May, and he still spent 4 days at home for a Memorial day weekend break, plus six more days through the month. Take every HOS exemption we can, and let her roll. Baby needs new shoes, and customers are calling for more product. Just signed his check. It's a doozy.

5. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    Exemption? Who are you hauling for? FEMA?

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Ag exemptions with an occasional "covid 19 farm supply" load thrown in. I think technically all our loads could be classified Covid, but he's already doing 900 some mile days with the ag exemption, and enough is plenty enough.

7. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I've done 9,400 miles in the last 2 weeks. No exemption... If i could, I'd be pushing 25,000 miles a month, haha.

8. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’ve been staying busy, driving dedicated for a large paper company.

Dave_in_AZ and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    2008-2009 I was running chemical tanker. Ran my butt off.

Rideandrepair and ronjeremyjr Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It was bad. We had 6 consecutive years of falling freight tonnage, starting in 05, also high fuel prices. Brokers keeping what little surcharges were in place. Tightening of credit, falling house prices.When the banks blew up, all hell broke lose, with Bankruptcies. Anyone with credit available, or cash bought Houses, and Trucks at half or less of previous prices. The others went down.It lasted through 2010, before the unemployment rate started dropping, and freight rates bottomed out. Then it picked up, in April or May of 2011, and fuel charges were for the most part in place. There was a brief shortage of Trucks, and rates started going up. If they wanted it hauled, they had to pay. Like a switch had been thrown. Everyone started jumping back in, didn’t last long. Aside from a short bump in rates, caused by ELD, it’s been mediocre at best. But it’s a steady Living, but a cut throat Bussiness. We ain’t seen nothing yet. The Brokers are going to be under cutting each other. Hopefully there’s a shortage of Trucks, I doubt it, maybe in a year or so, when all the easy money runs out, and Trucks Get repossessed. It’s coming.

Deere hunter and dwells40 Thank this.
  11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    We are rapidly edging towards a depression, we are already in a recession

Rideandrepair and Opendeckin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.