Recommend a truck to haul Mini Excavator and Skid Steer (35K LBS)

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by zorrotm, Apr 23, 2020.

1. zorrotm

zorrotm Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2020
    We are trying to find a pickup truck that will haul 35K lbs, basically a mini excavator (20K) and a skid steer (around 10L) plus attachments. It has to be a pickup or similar as this is for disaster response and an 18 wheeler just isn't going to make it into those tight areas.

We are looking at a Dodge 5500 but even running that it looks like it would cut it close. for the 2020 5500 max GCWR is 43,000 but max towing is 34000.

If you can offer any idea, thoughts or tips we would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    2020 Ford F-450 w/ 6.7 diesel is rated to tow up to 37k.

4. JDHIGGINS44

JDHIGGINS44 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Waynesburg, PA
    With these kind of weights I hope you plan on putting a driver behind the wheel that has plenty of tractor trailer experience. The issue isn't whether or not a truck will pull it, the problem is stopping safely. Whatever trailer you spec it is an absolute must that you hydraulic disk brakes all the way around and keeping up with the maintenance and pre trip on them would be crucial to the operation.

5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

20k hoe, 10k skid steer, plus attachments, you figuring to put that on a <5k lb trailer?

6. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    You will be better off to look at a single axle semi truck and get a 40 ft. step deck with air brakes. Alot more reliable and safer than what you are talking about.

7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Good securment knowledge is a must.

8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    One rubber hose gets snagged and the pedal goes to the floor. I highly recommend air brakes, as they are fail safe. And for getting in the bush its gonna need 4wd. That said, front CV axles limit the steer angle of any 4wd pickup front end so they arent that much more maneuverable than a short daycab tractor.

If it were my budget and decision, i would be looking for a short setback axle tractor or a cabover, with walking beams and full lockers. Id put the skid steer on the back of the truck and the ex on a short 8 wheeler pintle trailer. Because it folds in the middle, this combo will snake thru the woods in one set of tracks like a skidder or wheel loader. You wont need the wide roads or really generous radiuses at intersections that a tractor with a 5th wheel requires because tag trailers are led by a stinger with axles more centered. They are night and day at tight spot work. i drive a 48 spread in the bush behind a sleeper.

I have an isuzu NPR straight truck that can get in anywhere my dually will go. Cabovers are incredible. Look at the M1078, M1081, M1088A1 etc. Lot of truck for the money. Will have diesel, automatic, walking beam 4x4 or 6x6 and pintle already on it. All cabover.

9. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Single axle day cab better turning radius than a pickup truck

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yeah, I wonder about the trailer weight too.

You can also step up to a Class 6 or 7 and still get 4-wheel drive if absolutely needed (Ford 650/750, International, etc.).

And if you really want, you can have a driven front axle added to just about anything; it's only money...

alds and Landincoldfire Thank this.
  11. skytrash

skytrash Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    denton , tx
    get a dump truck, load skid steer in dump truck. hook up trailer , load mini excavator, tie down and press on with business . it's done every day, ive done it myself

Capacity and FoolsErrand Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.