Reefer O/O tells horror stories of brokers - how accurate is this?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RussianBearTruckeR, Sep 14, 2018.

1. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    He's a reefer O/O working under a carriers Authority - I've been watching him & respect his honesty...Is this how it is out there with Brokers? You can't report these dishonest brokers? Isn't this a breach of contract? Can an OO do something or have a clause in the invoice that protects the OO? What can O/O do to protect themselves from Broker's dishonesty leading to your business losing money?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't understand the situation and videos are not my thing, can you summarize it to one problem with broker involved in this situation?

Maybe it's time to hire the Lunch Counter to see if it's called BS or not.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's a very long video to watch. Just summarize what's going on there

5. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    Brokers withholding information, pay, time of load pickup, detention pay promised when in fact it was not offered, basically, Brokers lying to get you to do the load period...How can OOp's protect themselves (aside from initial Q/A's) - do you report brokers? Go to court?

Socal Xpress and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You don't do business with the bad ones ever again. And you do repeat business with the good ones. Sometimes it is the customer who is the bad apple and the broker has been given bad information. I have found, as a one truck o/o, it is much easier to run the same lanes, haul for the same people, no bs-ing around. Someone offer more money for a 1 off load? Go away. I am occupied. It takes time to build mutually beneficial relationships. Some customers will want to lower the rate when the market swings. You can remind them you didn't bend them over when you could have. Let them hire the cheap guy. Let them figure out the cheap guy will be gone when the market shifts in our favor again. Now the question is, do you want to go back to your regular routine? At this point you may be on to something else. That's been my experience, at least.

7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Well I can tell you for a fact if it is not true then it is true.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If a broker is cracking a frame over a little bit of necessary and mutual business information very revelant to both parties, then I say find another broker. Don't run for that one again.

Im not here to be difficult. The one thing that is a hot button is lack of information. Dispatchers or brokers who stare down the high and mighty tower at me, just a drivah requesting a little bit more about the load to know the situation because I smell a rat somewhere; I get mistreated. And behold, the truth comes out. (My famous Salinas Americold story is one such problem. what a waste)

God help the broker if I was a actual owner operator or a company requiring this information as part of a foundation of mutual business. If that broker wants out. They are welcome to it. But I wont run for that one again ever.

Ive said enough. It's a opinion of one in a room full of people who do this for a living.

frizzbees and RussianBearTruckeR Thank this.
  9. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    and old man told me 40 yrs ago just shrug your shoulders and move on " welcome to trucking " was his favorite punch line my self I think more crap goes on with reefer frieght than any other by far I think some of these agents are spawned by the rats in the gutter of what's left of the produce terminals it takes awhile to know who to haul for and who to avoid

x1Heavy and RussianBearTruckeR Thank this.
  10. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    Brokers are not holding a gun to nobody head,they can lie all they want,the freight is not going in and out of the trailer unless im completly satisfied and have a writing confirmation
    Underfunded,stupid operators are the ones always crying and complaining.two things i need to know about brokers:their bond is good and have good credit.
    You dont like the load,let it sit in the warehouse.

51.50 Thanks this.
  11. RSB34

RSB34 Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2013
    ny.
    Don’t work with TQL they seem to be the kings of misinformation. I ask all relevant questions before I book the load. When I get the rate sheet and something is different than stated I don’t do the load They lost my trust at that point. I have found in the past one or two decent brokers that get my truck. I don’t fool around with a lot of them. Anymore I have one place I get my loads from.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.