Reefer rates, whats too low?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Diggerman10, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Diggerman10

Diggerman10 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2017
    Hi my name is Gene and I am new to the reefer business. just wondering what a good per mile rate should be before or after broker fee. I don't want to be low hurting myself and the rest of the industry. I would appreciate any and all advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Possmguts

Possmguts Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Columbiana, Ohio
    I wont go lower than 1.40 for anything... Ill deadhead 300 miles if I have to. But 1.60 to 2.25 is about the norm for me.

Green_20, itaff and Diggerman10 Thank this.
  4. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Might as well go park truck and get a company driver job. Without out having a business plan for you to succeed.

5. Wallyjr

Wallyjr Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Shouldn't haul anything for less than 2.00 a mile minimum

KB3MMX, irfury58 and Diggerman10 Thank this.
  6. Possmguts

Possmguts Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Columbiana, Ohio
    You aint coming out of Florida with anything if you go down... so be ready to haul something cheap or deadhead back to GA to find something. Im set up for coming out of MN and ND to go SE with my money loads but getting back is always a challenge

KB3MMX and Diggerman10 Thank this.
  7. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Varies greatly with region & rate lanes, along with seasons.

itaff and Diggerman10 Thank this.
  8. Diggerman10

Diggerman10 Bobtail Member

May 3, 2017
    Yeah, been haulin out for 1.90-2.20 but 1.50 backhauls r killing me, even had a 1.20 offer outta tx , told em is leave it on the dock!

KB3MMX and Green_20 Thank this.
  9. itaff

itaff Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I would have to say it depends on the region your in, how long the haul is and how many stops are involved.. Is there lumper fees, are there tolls, and what's the rate of fuel in the area traveled..

If running under 200 miles I would expect $3.00 a mile & $50.00 - $150.00 a stop to include lumper cost..

Between 400 + miles usually $1.70 + a mile and national average on FSC, also Lumper Fees...

Brokers have offered me loads to Florida in the pass.. But I always calculate the cost to drive back to Alabama, Georgia and add that to the line haul cost..

The biggest thing to understand about making money in Refer is know the different seasons for produce and stay in them areas.. States like Florida & Colorado are hard to get out of.. ThevMid West is always good for beef or pork.. A person can't go wrong with Chicago most days..

Stay away from Beer & Soad, they will cram you to 79,999 lbs and pay cheap rates..

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.