Regen interruptions

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by darklyth, Nov 12, 2018.

1. darklyth

darklyth Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2013
    I know everybody should know all this by now, but I'm a slow learner.
    So I bought a Cascadia from MHC in Oklahoma, and did not realize that it was governed at 66 mile per hour until I got quite a ways out of the city.
    After giving it some thought I decided to leave it like that, and keep me out of trouble. I don't run hard anyway.
    After having it for 4 months, I've noticed that if I haul heavy Freight into Pennsylvania, I can figure on stopping about halfway through for a manual manual Regen.
    My understanding is the changes in engine load, like downshifting while climbing a hill, can interrupt passive Regen, but it took me a while to note that the governor may be interrupting it as well. The downside is that I can't find anything anywhere that mentions this. So the question is, is the governor likely to interrupt passive Regen in the mountains, every time I get to 66 on the way down a hill and it cuts out, or does that have nothing to do with it and I need to get into the shop to get half the system replaced while it's still under warranty?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You can only do a manual or parked regen when the unit is asking for one. It won't do one just because you hit the switch. Passive regens will work rather well under various conditions as long the rpms are high and under some load. Varying the rpm isn't ideal for a perfect regen, but it will still do it's job. Long prolong coasting or city stop and go duty cycle is what really interrupts a regen.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Road speed limitations will have no effect on regeneration frequency. Engine load and idle time are the key players.

pushbroom and Heavyd Thank this.
  5. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    If you stay above 1000 rpms there should be no interruption in regen.

6. darklyth

darklyth Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2013
    I appreciate it. I think I'll just leave the speed limiter alone. I like the mileage I get at 65. as long as it's not going to cause problems with passive Regen, then I'll just get it into the shop next time it throws a code and let the warranty take care of it.

7. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    My Cascadia is governed to 65 as i drive in Ontario and Quebec. I've not had a problem with passive regens in this or any other restricted Canadian truck ever no matter the gradient or traffic ( well there was a prostar many years ago but never mind that) . I'm not sure how you know it is regenning itself as you drive, nothing I've driven has given me a clue it's happening so it makes me wonder if you have other problems here? I used to use a scanguage and that would read temperatures at different parts of the exhaust but that's the only way I could ever tell.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.