Regen

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MackRookie, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MackRookie

MackRookie Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    So when the yellow regen light comes on just keep driving? No need to park regen?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    Do i have to hit the regen button while driving if the yellow regen light comes on?

4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    You shouldn't need to hit a button while driving. It regens during normal driving operation, usually without you knowing it though if paying attention you will notice a change in sound.

It's also unusual for that light to come on while driving in normal conditions.

You may have a problem.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am not sure what the light means in your truck. If it only indicates that the regen is being performed, I would keep driving at steady speed, because that's when the active regen is done most efficiently. In Volvos when the regen is being done it shows "regen" message on the dashboard. There are different indicators/icons informing that the filter is clogged. It could be a situation when the DPF is clogged to the point of it needed to be serviced because the very regens would not be enough. In Volvos, many interupt the active regen process by hitting right hand wiper control switch ESC button, interrupting it as the message hides other info on the dashbourd screen. That's bad habit but also bad Volvo dashboard design...I hope they changed it in newer models.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    tinytim Thanks this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    When the light comes on then you should stop do a regen until it stops. It needs DEF fluid? It should do a regen while your driving but it won't show the regen light unless something is wrong.

You really shouldn't see the regen light with SCR unless there was too much idle time or something is wrong.

7. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    2012, it should have DEF.

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes, it should :)

9. MackRookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Canada
    Regen light came on a week after buying the truck. Just regened now so how long before it should come back that is normal?

10. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    The only time mine ever comes on is if I idle too long.

The 2011 I drove was the same, never saw that light.

11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The older the truck the more regens it will have and they will last longer. When I bought mine I had them show the "regen" message 4-5 times a day lasting at times up to an hour...typical for a truck with over 500K miles....and that's for a year and a half when it got really bad - showing engine shutdown message. Then I replaced the filter, dozer and all sensors. I don't have def though, only DPF - it is Cummins ISX 2008.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.