Regs for Air Brakes under 26,000 GVWR

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by JD329, Nov 8, 2008.

1. JD329

JD329 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    GA
    I will be driving an International 4900 straight box truck that I have been told has a GVWR of under 26,001. The truck has air brakes and I was wondering if I will still have to have a CDL because it has air brakes. I have been searching the web and have found contradicting answers.

Thanks.
    JD

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. super10

super10 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    You will need a class b w/air brake endorsement.

Anytime you drive a commercial vehicle w/air brakes you need the endorsement. Class B is the lowest you can have to hold the endorsement.

I know this because I used to drive the same truck you mentioned w/out airbrakes. When they phased them out for the chassis w/air brakes, it was necessary to get my b w/air endorsement.

If it did not have the air brakes, you would still need a class c cdl.

x1Heavy and psanderson Thank this.
  4. JD329

JD329 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    GA
    Okay, thanks for the quick reply. Now to another question. The company has another truck that is the same length but is a 4700 with an auto trans instead of a manual that the 4900 has. Could I take the road test and basic skills test with the 4700 (which has hydraulic brakes) and still get a class B license?

5. super10

super10 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    Negative, the basic difference between a class c and b cdl is the air brake endorsement. For the air brake endosement you still need to perform the COLA-P (air brakes) test. If not, you will have only the commercial c.

6. JD329

JD329 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    GA
    So just for clarity, in order to get a class B cdl, you have to take the driving portions of the tests in a truck that fits in the class b bracket correct?

7. JD329

JD329 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    GA
    I was reading this on a .gov website. The website defined what a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) was. It said that a CMV was a vehicle that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 lbs or more. I also found on the same website this quote: "If an applicant either fails the air brake component of the knowledge test, or performs the skills test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, the State shall indicate on the CDL, if issued, that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with air brakes." This makes me think that you only need a CDL for air brakes if the truck weighs more than 26,001 and is therefore considered a CMV. I start on Monday and would hate to be involved in an accident and get a hefty fine and a possible license suspension.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Not true . Why do you think Navistar rated the CTX with air brakes at 25,999 lbs. GVWR ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_CXT .
    Under 26,000 lbs. no CDL is required . Did you check the GVWR on the truck with air brakes you were required to get a class B for ?
    Some confirmation - http://utilityequipment.blogspot.com/2006/10/commercial-drivers-license-cdl-air.html
    It might not be a bad idea to print the info in that link and carry it . Just politely ask any officer disputing it to show the regulation contradicting it .

grandpawspeedy Thanks this.
  9. witchwaywest

witchwaywest Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    JD,You will need a Class C commercial cdl with a license that shows no air brake restriction.Airbrakes are not an endorsement,just a part of the knowledge test you need to pass.You will have to take your road test in a vehicle that is equipped with airbrakes or your license will show a restriction.So, yes you do need a cdl but only a commercial class C because your truck has GVWR of less than 26001 lbs.One thing you want to make sure of is that your boss is correct when he states the GVWR is under 26001 lbs.Go out to the truck and check the manufactuers metal plate by or around the drivers door.

10. JD329

JD329 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    GA
    I am starting to believe this issue is a loophole in the CDL laws. What I am reading on these .gov websites are saying that no special license is needed for vehicles with a GVWR less that 26,001 regardless if it is equipped with air brakes or not. My employer has said that they have checked and I have checked and we both are in agreeance that this truck does not require a CDL license.

rreidnauer Thanks this.
  11. witchwaywest

witchwaywest Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    JD,Your right.I looked into it a little further.For your vehicle you do not need a CDL.The only time you would need a CDL for your class of vehicle is if you haul haz-mat.Then you would need a class C commercial license which would require you to take the knowledge test(air brakes included)and a road test with a truck(4900) equipped with air brakes so your license shows no restrictions for air brakes.So,again,since you don't meet the requirements to mandate a having a cdl(no haz-mat) the air brakes are a non issue.I've never had anything less than a class A,now with haz-mat and doubles/triples endorsements. So I guess I should stay away from answering questions about the cdl C.Sorry for the confusion.

super10 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.