Regs for Air Brakes under 26,000 GVWR

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by JD329, Nov 8, 2008.

1. super10

super10 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    That is where I was so far off. The company I drove for is a waste remediation/hauler and everything you named above is what was required of me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeF2002

JoeF2002 Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Saylorsburg, PA
    I know this post is several years old, but if the original respondents are still around, I wanted to say 'thank you'. The information I found here about the Air Brakes was very useful for me personally. Appreciate it!

4. SmashedKodoma

SmashedKodoma Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2017
    In maine, and probably by FMCSA regulations, between 10k and 26001 lbs requires a DOT medical card. If airbrakes are in vehicle, then it falls under class b cdl

5. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    There are rental moving vans that have air brakes under 26,001 where anyone with a regular license can rent. I thought only over 26,001 requires CDL or endorsements.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We have trucks like that, with air brakes, and class C drivers that drive them. The question I have right now regards the necessity of an air brake endorsement in a C truck.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    There is no such thing as a "air brake endorsement". Only an air brake restriction on a CDL if you test in a vehicle without them.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Hegemeister Thanks this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Wrong. The "basic difference" between the class C and class B is the weights. Class C is single vehicles up to 26,000#. Class B is all single vehicles.

Take the test in a vehicle without air brakes and you'll have a restriction placed upon your license that prohibits you from driving an air brake equipped truck.

Take the test in a vehicle with an automatic and you'll have a restriction placed upon your license that prohibits you from driving a truck with a manual transmission.

There is no short-cut to getting a CDL. You have to take the skills test in a vehicle similar to the one you're going to be operating.

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
  10. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    A
    Almost correct but then that would make it kind of incorrect wouldn't it (Concerning Class C). While correct that the C is for commercial vehicles up to 26,000#, a class C is dependent on one of two endorsements, either a P or an H. Driving commercial vehicles 26,000# and under not requiring a P or H endorsement require no CDL federally.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    From Michigan's CDL manual. I'm sure most (all) states are the same.
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cdlmanul_16090_7.pdf

Group A
    Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of any towed vehicles is 10,001 pounds or more. A Group A designation will allow you to operate a Group B or Group C vehicle provided you have the required endorsement.​

Group B
    Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.
    A Group B designation will allow you to operate a Group C vehicle provided you have the required endorsement.​

Group C
    Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous and require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR, part 172, subpart F).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.