Regulations on pretrip anal safety manager Need to bury him…

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by v6killer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    I have a anal safety manager that does not know the federal DOT rules or I don't know. The safety manager in question had me in violation because I bobtailed from my parking space to a fuel station, When I arrived at the fuel station in question I did my pretrip there 9 miles from my parking space, Move the line in the Qualcomm down to line number four did my pretrip and show that I added fuel to the truck.

Safety person in question says I must login and put it to line number four immediately do mypre trip there, soon as you start the truck, I explained to him there's no load on me I don't have to do that.

I need some clarification on the federal website that talks about pretrip, what I can do and cannot do any help out there would be great The federal website is very confusing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    What it sounds like you're saying is that you drove to get fuel bobtail without being logged into the QC. Since you are driving to get fuel, that should be logged as regular drive time, and the pre-trip would need to be completed before that. The only time you can off duty drive is if you are unladen, and not doing anything that could be construed as work related. Driving to get fuel = work related driving.

Ghost Ryder and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  4. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    what if I was doing Maintenance on the truck then I stopped to get fuel to go home what's the difference.

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Sazook is right on. Unless you were just going to eat or shop, that's the only thing you wouldn't need to be on lines 3 or 4. You were going to get fuel, so you were on duty. Safety guy was right.

sazook Thanks this.
  6. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    On duty. Anytime you're doing something like that, changing a light, adding oil, etc, that's considered on duty.

7. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    Maintenance - On duty
    Driving to get fuel - On duty
    Fueling - On duty
    Driving home - Off duty

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  8. jbourque

jbourque Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    south english iowa
    the worst part of the whole thing is it started your clock.

9. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Unless your on paper. Never have logged changing lights, adding oil, etc. Sorry simple crap like that isnt going on my log book mainly because its none of dot's business.

10. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    I don't either, but I'm just answering the question. He asked as if it made it better that he was doing maintence. I change lights, etc, mudflaps and its not during my PTI or fuel, then its off duty.

379exhd Thanks this.
  11. ITS62

ITS62 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Purpose of a Pre Trip is to inspect the truck before it MOVES and gets on the road at the beginning of your day!...that is just common sense. If you were moving across the yard to get fuel, that is one thing but if you are any part of on the road, off duty or not, I am with the Safety Office on this one!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.