Reitnouer Flatbed resealing suspension?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Zwiser, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Zwiser

Zwiser Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Hey yall, Im buying a 2013 reitnouer flatbed trailer that was owned by Prime, and during my search of buying a used reitnouer trailer i kept seeing trailers listed that had the suspension dropped and resealed on the suspension hangers. Im just trying to figure out why that is, and when should it be done?

Also it appears that there was a change in the way the suspension hangers are mounted to the frame in 2013 were some trailers have a aluminum L bracket and some are just a steel bracket. Is one better than other?

Thanks for help in advance, i read alot on this forum lately and do alot of searching but couldnt find my answers anywhere...

Zach

PoleCrusher and Tug Toy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yes, there was a problem with disimilar metals. Steel brackets on aluminum frame.

The fix was a pice of plastic where the suspension bracet meets the frame.

I don't think you will need to do anything with a trailer that new. The brackets would start rusting/scaling and you would see the bracket start to bulge out. Something to look for.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Reseal or rebushing? I've never heard of resealing suspensions ever. Not sure I've ever even seen seals on a trailer suspension before.

5. Zwiser

Zwiser Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Yeah i seen some trailers look like they have some kind of RTV in between the frame on the reitnouer trailers i looked at.

There are two of the 2013 Prime trailers at the dealership and one has the aluminum L bracket and the one im buying is the old steel style bracket.

Im not to sure what to look for on these trailers, i just hear they that reitnouer is a good quality brand. Im a O/O this is first trailer im buying for myself and not carrier provided.

Thanks,

Zach

6. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    The 2013 has a newer style should be ok just make sure the bolts have been upgraded. Reitnouer did it as a recall. What you are reading about on the older ones is corrosion builds up in between the suspension box and frame were it bolts together. On the old ones corrosion can build up and it will start to break or stretch the bolts. Then If you don't fix it would lead to cracks breaking frame.

PoleCrusher, Tug Toy and whoopNride Thank this.
  7. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    look at the king pin plate and the suspension where they bolt to the frame. Two problem areas. Can't go wrong with a older reitnouer. Late 90's early 2000's are beasts. The quality of aluminum was good. Still have some 98s that pull great and hold great arch. Honestly better then the 13s and 14s we have.

PoleCrusher, whoopNride and NoBigHurry Thank this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    This is inside the kingpin plate on a 2007. It’s hard to get in there though clean but look in there the best you can from the back. The kingpin rusted out and broke off on mine earlier this year. After we cut the deck off I was shocked to find this mess. 0D5F37BE-E7E3-4209-BED4-EAC183D6031A.jpeg
    We have both the newer and older style suspension attachments on ours. I the le the aluminum l bracket much better.

Mine is the steel bracket and dose ok if you keep it clean in there.

9. Zwiser

Zwiser Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Ok thanks for all the advice guys!

Wow that 5th wheel plate is bad man

10. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    I've seen the corrosion split the main trailer beam on a Ravens. The corrosion builds and builds and if nothing is done something will break. It just needs something between the aluminum and steel to stop or slow the corrosion. Ravens would use duck tape, not the best but worked for 8-10 years before needing done again.

11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    That is bad. On any trailer I'm looking at buying, new or used, I'll crawl up under and look for places that don't drain well and catch debris. You can guarantee that underneath debris and moisture traps are going to cause problems.

We learned this the hard way with a new Trail King sliding axle trailer. Trail king, in all their wisdom, thought it would be a good idea to use steel tubing crossmembers, very bad idea. What happens is moisture, road grime and salt will eventually make it inside the tubing. You can't wash it out and you can't see it. You don't know there is even a problem until holes start rusting though. By that time, the trailer is not road worthy and falling apart.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.