Relocating to Toledo, OH for Trucking Jobs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GyrrwrLori, Jan 25, 2012.

1. GyrrwrLori

GyrrwrLori Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I completely understand that a local gig will be tough to get and I am fully prepared to go over the road or do regional work. My goal is to get on with a company that has a terminal located in either Southern IL or NW Ohio. I may be wrong, but I figure that if I live near my home terminal, my chances of getting home for the occasional 10 or 34 hour break might be better. Also, if my truck needs maintenance and I live near the shop, again, I might get a chance to see my wife and baby a bit more often, even if it is only for a couple of hours or so. In Illinois, Henderson and Marvin Keller have terminals within an hour of my home, as does Conway freight, but they aren't hiring at the moment. Star runs through the area frequently, as well.

If my thinking is faulty in this, please correct me.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. girlsdrivetoo

girlsdrivetoo Light Load Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    I live just west of Toledo, and Garner gets you home for your restart Every weekend, barring the occasional weekend on the road. If her family lives in Toledo, I would keep her close to them for security and help during the week when you are driving. I think you sound as if you are really thinking it all through, which is good! Best of luck, next Wed!
    Emma

4. GyrrwrLori

GyrrwrLori Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Garner is a company I have looked at since I first started this whole CDL process. I am very excited to get the opportunity to road test with them next week. Hopefully, if all goes well, I will start orientation the week after and life in Ohio will begin. My wife is very excited to be moving back home after 13 years in Illinois, and we all know that if she's happy, everyone is happy! :biggrin_2559:

Being new to this, what can I expect for the road test? Is it like the road test for obtaining a CDL? More in depth? Less in depth? I talked to my school yesterday and they are letting come in and get back into the truck Thursday morning, just to reacquaint myself after a month of not driving.

5. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Good luck with this and keep us posted. I'm anxious to see how your road test goes. Don't get to discouraged as I'm sure there is something out there that will fit the bill for your situation. It is hard getting local gigs without experience but there are possibilities out there. Good luck driver!

6. Velox

Velox Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Ohio
    Garner does a lot of freight in Northern Ohio don't know too much about them other than they used to have the Contract at Heinz don't know if they still do or not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.