Removing blind hole pivot pin.

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by blholtx, Aug 19, 2018.

1. blholtx

blholtx Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    has anyone had any experience removing one of these pivot pins that’s rusted in place?

I have no idea how I’m going to remove these suckers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  4. blholtx

blholtx Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I can get some in a bit

5. blholtx

blholtx Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    This is what it looks like on one side of trailer. There is no way to get to the back side of these pins to drive them out.

Attached Files:

6. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Looks like a cutting wheel is in order. That pin isnt going anywhere while its still welded in place.

magoo68 and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. blholtx

blholtx Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    This is the side I’ve been working on. Had to use a cut off wheel to get the slide tube out of the way, unfortunately it doesn’t give me anything to work with. I welded a bolt to the pin and used washers and a nut to put pulling pressure on the pin while heating the tubing that the pin sets in with a torch. The threads of the bolt pulled inside the nut.

I’m thinking of trying to either drill and tap pin for a 5/8 inch or larger bolt and use a grade 8 bolt to put pulling pressure on the pin and use that along with heat.

These pins are original in the trailer.

Attached Files:

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    A man that is good with A cutting torch can blow that weld out and free the pin... But they need to be GOOD with that oxy-aceyline torch... You don't want to cut the plate that that pin is welded into... Only the weld... If you are go in to replace the entire pin then you can cut the weld and the entire top of the pin, but this may make it difficult to remove the pin once it is free. I have had to do exactly what I have explained here many times working as a welder/fabricator/repair guy.

9. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    For the side that you have already cut... Heat what is left of the pin just as cherry hot as you can get it... Drench it with penetrating oil, let sit an hour and repeat process... Do this 3 or 4 times, the last time after you heat it don't put oil on it but just let it sit over night... Then weld a large nut to the end of the pin and put a 1/2 in impact gun on the nut and give it a rattle... The nut may need to be rewelded on a couple of times but this will eventually work it free.

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  10. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Another thing... Those pins might actually be threaded in... Not sure as I'm not sure of the application,

11. blholtx

blholtx Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018

Lol I know that much. Look at pics
    thanks, pins are actually smooth. I’ve got replacement pins for both side. Those pins are inches long. Only about 31/2 inches go thru the vertical tube and the outer bracket. The rest is inside the horizontal deck tubing

Cattleman84 and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.