Removing drive shaft for better fuel economy..

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, Sep 5, 2021.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    If you pull the rear driveshaft you would have to drive around with your power divider in the locked position in order to move.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    I thought that was what I said but maybe I wasn't clear.
    In any case, my biggest problem with the OP's statement was that "the rear differential doesn't do much of anything except add drag."
    That couldn't be more wrong.

4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Which makes getting under a trailer that is a little too low, less stressful on the drive train.

Don't do it.

joseph1853 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    You’ll be just like those tandem trucks with a dead axle, it won’t take much to get you stuck. You can even get hung up in grade changes in paved parking lots.

A power divider is nothing more than a open differential, much like the one already in your drive axle. It splits the power to both drive axles. When you “lock it in” you send power to both drive axles, they are locked together.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Another BS thing.

Ask Eaton, they will tell you that the parasitic loses that cause fuel consumption is caused by the drag from the internal components of the axle.

joseph1853, Bean Jr. and Vampire Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    The only thing I could think when I read this was that he wanted to make a Fred Flintstone truck and yabba dabba do it with your feet, lol.

I get that you were looking at how to improve your fuel economy, but that is not the way.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    At my last job we had a tractor that had a single drive, but tandem wheels. The rear axle was basically just a bar to hold the wheels on. During winter a tow truck had to be called out to pull it off ice in trailer yards at least once a week. After a couple months it basically sat all winter long doing nothing. The weird thing is we also had a few single axle tractors that never had problems with sliding on the ice.

TallJoe and joseph1853 Thank this.
  9. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Dont do it , i have one truck like this for 150k miles already and there is no saving at all , but if you run through west or snow alot - you will regret big time

TallJoe Thanks this.
  10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ...but all trucks in Europe i believe have just one drive axle ...and they don't have any issue driving through Scandinavia

11. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    The best way to save fuel if that’s your goal is with your right leg

Had a friend that spent $5000 on rearends and another $1000 on HP all on a $20,000 Walmart truck

I did the math for him and he would have to run something like 5-7 years to break even
    He didn’t go from 5mpg to 10
    He went up like less than half a percent

There is an “ art “ to dialing in a truck

Roger McG, joseph1853 and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.