Rented trailer with no weight limit??

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by mamllc, Aug 7, 2018.

1. mamllc

mamllc Bobtail Member

May 9, 2018
    I rented a 28' trailer that I will be loading with the contents of my garage to move cross country. Freight line is Old Dominion, I asked them how much weight I could put in their trailer, they said they go by volume not weight and that they don't weigh the trailers. I am guessing that I could put 30,000 pounds in the trailer, but I don't want it to end up stuck in a weigh station somewhere because of me. Anyone know how much I can legally put in one of these trailers? I have a pallet scale so I wont be guessing at how heavy I am loading it, just need to know where to stop.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Is the trailer single or tandem axle?

4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Typical 28 ft pup freight trailer around 1000#/ft. So yeah 30k should be ok. Every trailer has weight limits.

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    An empty set weighs about 28k with a single screw day cab, obviously another approx 2k with a twin screw sleeper. So figure about 25k in each trailer.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  6. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    If they say no weight limit, get it in writing and load that sucker up! Too many variables to guess accurately. I am sure at 28' it's a single axle which means you can have 20k lbs on the trailer axle, if a 3 axle truck is pulling it, it can have 34k up front. There is the issue of trailer empty weight, axle setup, truck weight, they are most likely gonna pull it as a set of doubles for any real distance, you wont know what the other trailer weighs for gross. When I pulled pneumatics, single axle day cab with lightweight bulk tank trailers, we were loading up to about 56k legally with a gross of about 79980 or so. That's roughly 28k per trailer. I'm gonna have to agree with about 25k in a van.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I never know my trailer weights, my manifest weights are pulled out of thin air:D
    My Twin screw day cab with tandem 32’ lead and tandem 28’ pup
    137,000 gross
    Beer lead/meat pup

8. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    What are you loading that is 30k? The total contents of most 4 bedroom houses with a 2 car garbage. Barely come out to 30k and they fill up an entire 53 foot high cube trailer floor to ceiling

okiedokie and Jazz1 Thank this.
  9. mamllc

mamllc Bobtail Member

May 9, 2018
    Three milling machines, a 15" engine lathe, 20" band saw, table saw, planer, shaper, jointer, and that's just the big stuff. The stationary equipment alone will be all of 20,000. So far I have 6 crates of tooling, +/- 1000 pounds each, plus tool cabinets and misc etc.....30,000 easy.

I want to get as much in the trailer as I can, but don't want problems out on the road. What happens if the truck ends up at a weigh station and is overweight? Do they fine the driver/carrier and let the truck go, does my equipment get stranded at a weigh station in the middle of the country?

10. skytrash

skytrash Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    denton , tx
    the pups I used to pull were rated for 20k of cargo

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    30,000 is 48 foot 53 foot trailer stuff.

I don't think you can stuff that much into a pup.

There should be a data plate near the front that will tell you what the trailer can carry in terms of gross weight.

I don't know what tractor you are towing with so, two axle or single axle? etc. I don't know if the trailer has one axle back there or two. (Probably one)

Then you need to break out the length, weight chart against your total axles, find the tare of both the tractor and trailer at a CAT scale weigh it. Then you will have a good idea of the gross you can be at. The difference will be what you can put into it.

Now in my time Ive hauled seacans at 20 foot boxes container with massive amounts of weight. And this is with a three axle tractor and a three axle chassis and STILL over weight, even with a 99K permit. Such a massive weight introduces serious driveablity problems.

30K? I'll probably split it and run two loads at 15K each. That way you will be relatively safe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.