Renting a truck long term vs leasing or buying

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by CavScout19d, Feb 22, 2017.

1. CavScout19d

CavScout19d Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2017
    so here is a question, Renting a truck long term let say 12 month. or should I buy ?
    lease(not ready to commit for 3-5 yrs )

I got a decent quote for a 2012 Pet 386 rental (monthly) with a rate of $2600 + 0.09perMile.
    2600 + 12,000x0.09 1,080 = 3,680 +tax = $4,000 x 12 = $48,000

4k a month doesnt sound that bad, but when I'm thinking about 48k .
    here is my thoughts on it I can buy a truck for that amount, but one good major repairs will destroy me.

BarberTrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Only if it is a reputable renting company, pays for all repairs, other than maintenance, and can guarantee a loaner truck of the same value, for the same price, if your's breaks down. And then, I'd think long and hard about it before signing on the line. Maybe even run it by a lawyer. But then, I'm probably overly cautious.

4. CavScout19d

Feb 18, 2017
    never can be too "overly cautious" - thats experience talking in you :)
    company is PacLeasing, and loaner is included.

so Im thinking it will cost me nearly 0.34 per mile running 12k miles + insurance .09

Bigrayon Thanks this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I dunno. I've been out of the game for a very long time now. But I never minded working for a company, if it was decent.
    Just never had the urge to be a businessman...

scottlav46 Thanks this.
  6. CavScout19d

Feb 18, 2017
    not to many decent companies left

7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    All your repayments on the rental would be tax deductible however you've got to actually be making some money to get a deduction in the first place. Bottom line is what ever you think is easier on your pocket and leaves the most in your bank account.

CavScout19d Thanks this.
  8. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Most rental setups don't offer a rental for maintenance. So if they find an issue and are waiting for parts, you might be shut down for a few days with the weekly payment still due. Just something to keep in mind.

lovesthedrive and CavScout19d Thank this.
  9. CavScout19d

Feb 18, 2017
    they said they will, i will defiantly get that in writing . thanx for bringing that up

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Granted it is a write off. Yet to me it is also a satisfaction of owning. Your vehicle is a reflection of who you are. So if you find a well maintained truck that hasnt got a abusive owner, that truck should take care of you as long as you take care of it.

My neighbor is driving a 1996 Pete. Bought it with a replacement Cat and rebuilt tranny. He bought the truck two years ago and takes care of it religiously. He is home during snow storms and out OTR most of the time. He seems to be doing ok. I dont think he paid more than 15k for his truck. Once every 3 months he goes and comes home with another toy.

It is up to you on what you do. Only you can decide what will work for you. Yet I like to have the physical item for money paid.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.