Renting out my truck?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by acem13, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yep that is just like Ryder, I got the idea from Penske when I drove a leased truck for one of my customers who needed a load taken into Canada. I got a copy of the lease details and used that as a guide. I won't get rich off of it - that's for sure - but the truck was cheap when I got it (paid cash for it) and I put about 3k into it to get it legal and didn't know what to do with it.

Yes it is different, there are some catches, like if the truck breaks down, I'm on the hook for damages to the shipper or consignee so I have to be careful. The maintenance program is set up where things get changed out no matter what based on the life of the component.

On the other hand I have a couple trucks where I have drivers in them, they are 1099 at the end of the year and it is different, I am the fleet owner and have double duty to take care of the truck and the driver. I used to have employee, what a pain that was, so contractors are better to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. yenehet

yenehet Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    hey guys...i want to buy truck and rent it out,
    so what kind of truck do you think is good and how much will it make per month ? and who can rent out my truck on a flat rate per month or per day/
    thank you

4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    o_O:confused:o_O:confused:

5. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Are you a driver?
    Do you have authority?

6. Joejoe12

Joejoe12 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Hi I’m looking to operate under my parents authority how do I I have my own truck and trailer but I’m young and trucking insurance for me was at 51k a year I can’t afford that how can I go under there usdot and mc and how would I not get in trouble with irs and troopers on the road ! Help

7. The Crossword Trucker

Feb 21, 2015
    Going under their authority is not going to lower your insurance costs

8. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

You better make sure you can find drivers before you start investing a lot of $$$. I know a couple of guys right now that have multiple trucks sitting cause they can't find drivers for them.

9. freightliner2001

freightliner2001 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2015
    West Texas
    it sounds like u have'nt done any home work on the oil field and ur from here not a gud sign to start off!!!! It took me 1hr to drive 3 miles to get to location in 2nd and 3rd gear while company drivers from other companies hauled ### in and out !!!!!!

10. The Crossword Trucker

Feb 21, 2015
    Why does this bizarre , ridiculous thread keep getting bumped by one hit wonders?

bigbyrc and alds Thank this.
  11. bigbyrc

bigbyrc Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    LOL ;-D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.