Repair shop has put me up against the wall.

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by RenoRaven, Jan 17, 2020.

1. RenoRaven

RenoRaven Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    I have a '14 Cascadia that I bought with 780k on it. I knew going in I would need to put some money into it with repairs and to make sure it would be reliable.
    Quick breakdown:
    05/19 #2 injector =$1700
    06/19 #4 injector =$1700
    07/19 MIL and CIL lights on, took to Velocity in AZ = $250= room and rental car. (they saw "no issues")
    08/19 MIN and CIL lights derate to 55mph to to another Velocity in AZ = $18000+ found issues with top end and did full rebuild (5 weeks) I asked Repeatedly to verify that the DFP system was functioning correctly.
    09/19 picked up first load in CA since repair. traveled 53 miles before MIL and CEL derated me to 5 mph for the same codes that have been present since 07/19. towed truck to Velocity ($1600), was told to replace OneBox ($14000 + room and rental car)
    11/19 noticed exhaust leak, found hot pipe to EGR damaged by last shop. Fixed at no charge (except being down for 3 days)
    01/20 MIL and CEL as well as SEL on. further investigation showed a missing bolt on DEF doser bolt, roadside repair=$1800
    01/20 MIL, CEL, and SEL on derate to 5 mph, service call found bad NOx sensor, replaced.

I am now out over 40k in repairs (some covered by warranty) as well as about 10 to 12 weeks of lost revenue. Is there anything that can be done to recover some of the lost income since all the repairs are tied to the same issue that should have been repaired the first time? Any help would be appreciated.

rank, Cabinover101, mhyn and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I would lawyer up or they will just ignore you. Where did you take your truck for repairs?
    Was it an ASE certified shop/OEM Dealership or an independent shop?

4. RenoRaven

RenoRaven Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2020
    All major repairs were done by Velocity truck centers in AZ, CA, and NV. Warranty covered about 25k or so, but the down time and added expenses of room and rental cars has cost me a small fortune. I feel that because the issues are all for the same DPF problems I should be able to recover some if not all of the later costs.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  5. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Make sure your insurance is paid up and light that thing on fire!

HoneyBadger67, Cat sdp, mhyn and 10 others Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What were these codes?

7. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    As I stated before lawyer up. You can check your states laws to see if you have any recourse as a consumer, claiming shoddy workmanship, but as a business entity...doubtful.

I had a similar problem with a new piece of equipment, tried working it out by myself, they gave me few perks, but they basically gave me the run around.

Got my lawyer involved - he had it resolved to my satisfaction in 45 days. Worth every penny he charged me.
    If you're going to be in this business, there are three things you better have; bullet proof insurance, a lawyer that understands trucking and a 4 sided dash cam.

rank and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    did you do a $50 rig dig report on truck before you bought it

9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    never go to a truck shop. always go to a engine shop for engine problems

mtoo and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The only thing you listed that a shop could arguably be responsible for is the missing bolt. And then only if they touched that part during another repair, and it was within a limited time frame.

JonJon78, Doealex and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Unfortunately that's pretty much the truth. Way I see it:

-2 injectors. They fail, it happens.

-If something was broken or wore out in the top end, it needed to be fixed. Depending on what the contingent damage was, may have neccessitated a complete overhaul.

-Looking at the mileage, the one box may have been due for replacement.

-NOx sensor, they fail. It happens.

The thing is, we don't know what these codes are OP had originally. When you look at the aftertreatment system, you have to look at what's going into it. If the engine had top end problems, it could have been pumping all kinds of crap into the aftertreatment. Aftertreatment system can easily be plugged with coolant, oil, etc. Engine failure could have been the root cause of the one box failure and the NOx sensor could have been just an unfortunate coincidence.

Again, without posting the codes or knowing why the engine was rebuilt, we can only speculate as to the cause.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Reason for edit: Spelling
    rank, Long FLD, 91B20H8 and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.