Replacing I-shift with manual transmission 10/13/18 ? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Johny41, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm looking for a good used truck with low miles, but all are i-shift after 2008 and i know is not reliable on long term. Did anyone make this change?, any shops doing it? I would appreciate any replies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Why would you think the I shift is not reliables?

KB3MMX and Johny41 Thank this.
  4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i shift is very reliable very expensive to fix when it goes bad but it rarely does most of the time you need a clutch around 700 to 800K cost about 5k other than that they dont have issues that often but when they do you better open up your wallet

Badiamqm, KB3MMX and Johny41 Thank this.
  5. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    He thinks this because people still don't understand that it is a manual gear box.

KB3MMX, Roberts450 and Johny41 Thank this.
  6. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    it's a lot more than just a gear box with all the computers and electronics that go with it it's quiet complicated, not just a manual gear box like the good old days

mhyn, KB3MMX and Johny41 Thank this.
  7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    they are not all i shifts after that year there is a lot of them yes but i have 09 with 13 speed eaton fuller you can find plenty with manual and usually your 13 speeds are for either owner ops or guys that ordered them like that there is very few fleets that order them with 13 speed anymore a lot of ishift and 10 speeds but not 13

Johny41 Thanks this.
  8. Johny41

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Scroll down this forum over past 10 years and i personally know a dozen of buddies always in shops,and financial troubles caused by I-shift, out of warranty with +20,000$ unexpected repair bills.( you can get a new manual for 7000-8000$). I sold my last truck, 2001 Volvo 770 because was automatic, only troubles time wasted in shops. Yes know this is better, still a complicated sensitive mechanism. I have 1,833,000 miles on my 2008/ 780 original Eaton 13 manual, i changed oil 4 times in 10 years, and the shifting knob on top of the stick ,40$, most of the guys i know don't have isues with Eaton 13 ; maybe the best transmission ever made.

mhyn, KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Johny41

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Hard to find manual on used 780s/08 and newer, 95% of trucks i've seen on the market are i-shift.
    So, Nasriza what do you know about this, technically should be possible right? I asked some Volvo dealers here in Ontario, they don't do it , want to sell their 20,000$ i-Shift .

10. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    should be possible yes but what it entails i dont know if you would want to pay for this, first of all need to change vehicle ecu that is a given wiring harneses flywheel clutch and all, both clutch cylinders and line and pedal need to be added, depends on trans need to shorten or extend drivelines, need to change programing or change ecm with something like it just with a manual transmission that way it has proper parameters even dash might need to be changed, so is it possible yes is that something you would want to do i highly doubt it it just a huge undertaking and after all said and done you never know how everything is going to work together being that you are putting something together, doing it properly with new parts from top of my head you are looking somewhere around 10 to 15 k with trans and all consider you also have no core if you will put a new trans inside and flywheel alone if getting from volvo should set you back around 1800 i belive close to my cost maybe 1500, that being said if you find another d13 if could be a 670 with out i shift and you take trans and all like a wrecked truck than it will be cheaper.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    what are you looking for exactly and what kind of money are you looking to spend i got a customer has a super nice 13 speed 780 a 2012 nice truck needs only front springs i think he has around 700K on it, but everything has been changed from engine to dpf to doc injectors egr cooler egr nox sensors engine harness turbo clutch, high low box on trans. very nice truck, has all bills to prove the work, ill shoot you his phone if you are intersted he is looking for somewhere around 40K i belive but he is negotiable. or let me know what you looking for i get people coming in everyday looking to get rid of trucks maybe something will work for you, and also i know a #### load of people around chicago and truck not every truck is worth it but ones like the one above i can tell you with no doubt that that thing is the ####, everything either done by me or volvo dealer.

KB3MMX, Dave_in_AZ and Johny41 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.