Replacing the Tandems on trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by razor1983, May 28, 2021.

1. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Looking into buying used tandems and putting them on my dry van trailer.

how interchangeable are trailer tandems? Aside from the rail width are there any other things to look for?

Any help appreciated, I really don’t know what to look for

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Sliding pin measurements. Center of pin to Center of pin. Not all have same hole measurements.

Pretty simple really. Sometime you can get brand new ones out of wrecks.

Rideandrepair and razor1983 Thank this.
  4. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Stay away from any Meritor that looks like this. Many different versions. But any this style are garbage. Walbash used alot of them.
    rhp.jpg

5. razor1983

Jan 17, 2011
    That looks almost exactly like what I have, and you’re right it is garbage

Bean Jr. and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    When the bushing go out its junk. I think there is a repair sleeve now. But they crack and break down the middle. Normally under cheap fleet spec vans.

Holland cb 4000,5000 I think is about the best.

Used to buy, sell tons of them. But thats 10 years ago. Ran a wrecker service. Any newer wrecked vans, I bought the salvage. Towed to recycle yard, then towed tandem back towards shop. Sold everyone before I returned to shop. Local utility dealer almost bought ever single one. Sold some in are shop. Great deal!

Bean Jr., razor1983 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I had my bogie replaced, it was cracked, re used the axles. It was expensive, not worth doing in retrospect. Sold the Trailer, now it’s used for storage. It was a holland, on a Great Dane Dry Van. Would have been perfect for you. I think the whole job was about $3800, Half parts, half Labor. There’s a place in Jackson Ms. that scraps trailers out. Lot of used tandems. I think they’re $1000, or less. Bogie, axles, wheels and tires.

razor1983, jamespmack and John E. Thank this.
  8. razor1983

Jan 17, 2011
    That’s exactly what happened! it cracked before and I had it welded. I replaced the bushings twice and both times the Control arm slipped off the bushings and is grinding against that part where its bolted.

A guy out here in Phoenix is asking 2k for the Hendrickson one. then I would need to find a shop to get it replaced.

Hendrickson Air Ride Suspension $1950.00 - heavy equipment - by...

Honestly I would buy a trailer but the prices on used equipment now are too crazy.

Dino soar and jamespmack Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

I'd becareful. That seams well used. Notice not every axle has fitting in hub cap for inflation? Not a big deal. But means its old enough for those parts to have failed. While I like most hendrickson stuff. Not a fan of upper airbag mounts. The rust and collapse. Then the air slider pins look to be missing. When was the grease ever changed in hubs? Does it need brakes and shoes? Maybe wheel bearings. Thats 500-1000 slider unit. I would give 3k for a new pull out. Maybe more now. I think you should shop around.

Then we see spray paint. That knocks the value down right now.

razor1983 Thanks this.
  10. razor1983

Jan 17, 2011
    I haven’t seen it in person yet. I think he scraps or coverts trailers for storage, so he probably has more of them.

Thank you so much for the advice. I’ll stay away from Meritor and look for Holland.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    What about Hendrickson vantraax my Great Dane slider box is getting ragged. Trailer in great shape. Thinking about just buying a whole new one. But going to keep trailer another 10 years

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.