Researching a company

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by fngmoto, Aug 13, 2022.

1. fngmoto

fngmoto Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Aside from speaking to other drivers, how do you research a potential employer? What are some of the things you look for when going into an interview? What questions do you ask during an interview to figure out if its a legitimate place to work or its ########. I'm in the search phase and have a few interviews lined up next week. I want to make sure I'm making the most informed decision so I'm not looking to jump ship in less than a year. Any assistance is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2022
    Reason for edit: skirting the filter
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    go the the FMCSA site and run the companies you are interested in. It will show their OOS (Out of Service) percentage and also the national average OOS %. Companies with an OOS higher the the national average may not be the best choice.
    You can also see their inspection history for the different categories.
    Safety Measurement System - Simple Search

Suspect Zero, fngmoto and tscottme Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    The answers to questions don't mean much unless you know which answers you want to hear. What do you want, specifically? Check the company CSA score on SAFERWEB, like @kemosabi49 said. That will give you some idea about the size of the company and how the company measures up versus the national average. What do you want? Does the drivers at the company get the pay/schedule/equipment quality/etc fit what you are looking for?

5. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    When I was looking I would drive over to the company and take a look at their yards. I was looking to see how new and well maintained their equipment was. When I was in the interview I asked about driver retention, actual runs and a breakdown of the pay

fngmoto Thanks this.
  6. fngmoto

Jan 19, 2022
    Just want to know what red flags to look for? Thigs that may stand out to an experienced driver that a noob like my self may miss.

7. fngmoto

Jan 19, 2022
    I never considered asking about driver retention, thats a great question to ask. Thanks.

8. fngmoto

Jan 19, 2022
    Thanks for that, those are useful tools I forgot I had access to.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California
    At some point you're going to have to roll the dice and take a chance. Doing your homework is good and talking to current drivers is the way to go but the only way to really know a company is to work there.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  10. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I Google the company and read reviews, and I go to Indeed.com and read company reviews. Read a lot of them, not just a few, and you’ll start to get a feeling for the company.

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Ask current drivers, look at terminal yard, (condition, how many trucks sitting there)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted