Restricted roads in GA... will I get in trouble?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JerseyBarrierRacer, Apr 8, 2021.

1. JerseyBarrierRacer

JerseyBarrierRacer Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2021
    I'd call the pd there and ask about it, but I don't want to be putting any ideas in their heads. I passed one coming off the ramp of ronald reagan pkwy (one of the restricted roads) and he didn't bat an eye but he may have been full on doughnuts and not in the mood to hassle anyone. I can tell you they are everywhere in that town. Probably pulling people over for running red lights lmao

And to clarify, what you are saying is that it may not be the total weight of the vehicle but instead just the weight of the load? I dunno how a lot of these restrictions are supposed to be interpreted but the sign def says GVWR. Whats odd though, is that on google its a yellow road. I thought yellow was a truck route. Checked the truckers atlas and it looks fine there too... and if you go to the listings of restricted routes by state, its not listed... but:

nonozone.png
    map.png

FearTheCorn Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JerseyBarrierRacer

Feb 25, 2021
    forgot to mention:

It was early morning both times I ran through that neck of the woods. I passed maybe 3 cars total going the opposite direction and nobody was on my side of road. Both times didn't see a single truck. It was an eerily quiet ride...

4. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    They don’t put up those signs and then ignore them. You might get away with it once, or a dozen times, but all it’ll take to ruin your day is for Barney Fife to happen to drive that way once. I’m on double secret probation with my company for making that mistake twice.

5. JerseyBarrierRacer

Feb 25, 2021
    I can deal with company crapola, its just gotta be for a good reason, like the net gain that banging this load out in one shift would get me.

What else happened to you btw? What did you say to the cop? You get a fine? Where at, what state? How many times did you get away with it?

6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Why not run US 78 from I285?

Jaebo74 Thanks this.
  7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I thought you were legit at first. Couldn't be. I've been to Atlanta. This doesn't happen in Atlanta, ever. Sure you didn't dream this part? :D

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The op never mentioned where he was coming from.

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You should just drive on the restricted roads or run more red lights. I don't see a problem with either of those plans.

Oh, and yellow roads on Google Maps doesn't mean it's a truck route and the picture you showed is a truck route but less than 36,000 lbs GVWR.

QuietStorm, alds and brian991219 Thank this.
  10. JerseyBarrierRacer

Feb 25, 2021
    ronald reagan pkwy is like a 6 mile stretch through a residential area. At 3am on a weekday its dead, I promise you. Is gwinnett co atlanta proper? idk, its not within 285

Takes too many minutes away.

After some browsing a pdf about truck restrictions on the gwinnett co official website I actually found a route that might work that is completely truck legal (if you can trust a pdf on a gov website). They are certainly gray residential roads, but maybe gunning it through there is safer than blowing lights and ignoring truck restrictions. I could also find the local hospital, park there and go off duty then call and report an accident at my destination and then follow the ambulance there. :p

86scotty Thanks this.
  11. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    tell your company to give you more time, so you can do it legal?

ZVar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.