Retired the Pete 379 but brought the new verision 389

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Young-Gun-101, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Young-Gun-101

Young-Gun-101 Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Iowa
    Ok although Peterbilt retired the 379 truck they introduce the 389 for 2008 which is the same truck with new technology. like the same old long nose that we love but with new headlight mirror brackets and others.
    This isnt the greatest pic i would suggest going to there website for the complete info and specs.
    [​IMG]

Nice to see they came to there senses Considering the father to this truck made many owner-ops dreams.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rwings

rwings <strong>"Jet Force"</strong>

Sep 7, 2006
    Portales, NM
    I personally like the mirrors mounted on the door instead of the cab. When sight-side backing I open the drivers door to move the mirror where I can get the best view of the back of the trailer. I find that easier than playing with the switch on the dash.

4. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

While that is nice, door mounted mirrors tend to buzz when crawling along (at least in every truck I've been in they have).
    The solution: Give it some throttle and slip the clutch gently, so your mirrors are clear and you're not doing 20 mph backwards.

BTW, the 389 I saw (at MATS last year) had the aerodynamic style mirrors from the 387.

5. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    I hate the new headlights....yuck!!

6. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    They'll perform a lot better though and that's what counts. The sealed beam 4 headlamp system like what was used on the 379 are some of the poorest performing headlamps.

7. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Yeah, they are very different from the old ones, but PackRat is right. Paul Abelson (of LandLine Magazine) did a test of the 389's lights side by side with a 379, and the 389's were much better.

personally, the best look for a 379 is quad rounds on some drop brackets, IMHO...:biggrin_255:

8. devildice

devildice Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Texas
    It goes without saying that fuctionality takes priority over looks. I guess I just love the older styles.

9. Roadhound

Roadhound Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Tennessee
    359 style double round on JJ hangers - coooolll!!!!!!

10. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    The older single round 359 Peterbilt headlamps are actually better performers than the 4 beam 379 lamps as well. The 7" round lamps have sufficient reflector space to put out a good beam. The lack of reflector surface in the small rectangular lamps is what causes them to be poor performers.

We found that out at Stevens when we switched to T2000's from T600's. A lot of drivers were afraid the single round headlamps on the T2 wouldn't be as good as the 4 lamps on the T6. As we all found out, the single round lamps on the T2 were far superior.:biggrin_25525:

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Just can't get past the headlights. can you say ... International! then again I'm a purist. I have never liked the ultra cab either

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.