Revenue Officer Unannounced Visit

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DSK333, Aug 18, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I had a visit from the PA Dept of Revenue IFTA guy the other day at my home completely unannounced. He left a card on my door claiming he was stopping by to verify address and go over record keeping requirements with me. Is this normal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Petty Cash

Petty Cash Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I had a sit down meeting with the local agent when I first set up my IFTA account. He called me to schedule it though.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  4. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I've been on the road for 5 weeks and don't plan on returning for another 5 more or so. I wish he would have called first. I feel a little intruded on.

5. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Don't know about now, but sounds about right. I live in Pa and 18 or more years ago a guy came out. He wanted fuel reciepts and logs. The records he wanted were for 6 months to a year previous. Cant remember exactly. Anyway he took them with him. Had them so long I had to call him as I needed the info for tax etc. He says okay I'm done. Brought it back in a couple days. Fined me $2 and some change mayby $4 and change wasn't much. Ohio did a mail audit once also. Mailed in and not long it came back. Can't remember how I came out on that one, probably not much either. Usually my large fines stand out in my memory.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    He won't be leaving with my originals. I'm not happy about them showing up at my home unannounced. Don't want to piss off the guy who's probably going to audit me but my privacy is important. I guess I'll have to think really hard about how to handle this.

villageidiot Thanks this.
  7. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I have had that, it's an audit of your filings, you must give them your miles and a place to work. If your miles and fuel is right it's painless

spyder7723, DSK333 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  8. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    probably wanted to audit your reporting and check your tanks for dyed fuel ... they don't usually announce there visits as they want to catch you with incomplete records ...... Pennsylvania probably would be one of the worst for checking since they have the highest fuel tax in the nation and they probably get cheated the most . I am using the quailcom to keep track of ifta miles now but I use to show the atlas miles for the high tax states and add miles to the cheap tax states saves around $100 a month once you get the hang of it ..... doesn't sound like much but that's 12,000 in 10 years and some satisfaction in knowing that you are screwing the communist states out of money

DSK333 Thanks this.
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Isn't Pa something? When I do my IFTA I look at other states fuel & gas tax. I can't believe those greedy people in Harrisburg. We sure aren't getting more for it. Except one thing, they are all chubbed up over traffic circles(round abouts). They're building those everywhere.

6wheeler, bzinger and DSK333 Thank this.
  10. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Sure. That's no issue at all. I've been record keeping using a state issued trip sheet and keep all my fuel receipts. It's the coming to my home, especially unannounced that bothers me. I don't even want him at my house. I wonder if I can hold the meeting elsewhere? I should be able to go to their offices.

TheyCallMeDave Thanks this.
  11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    They sure are! Once my IRP is two years old I'll be leaving PA forever. They can stick their tolls, yearly safety inspections, ancient DOT (they don't even accept credit cards!), nasty roads and nation's highest fuel tax up their...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.