Review of NBI Truck Driver Training in Winter Haven, Florida (Polk County) 160 HR/ 4 Week Course

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by winningsoul, May 24, 2017.

1. winningsoul

winningsoul Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    Hello All,

This is a review for NBI Truck Driver Training. When I started to look for a good truck driving school I came to the forum to check if anyone had any reviews for the schools closest to me. I found a couple reviews for the schools in my area. The way I figure it, seeing as how the internet is so important nowadays, if I write down a review it might help others with their search.

I attended NBI Truck Driver Training in Winter Haven, Fl.

The indoor facilities are neat and clean. They have two classrooms, a break room, and separate bathrooms for the men and ladies. I asked to see their training facilities. Their asphalt track is located a four minute walk from their office; you can drive and park your vehicle there. You won’t be standing in the sun, they have benches and a shaded area for students. There are three trucks equipped with 53 foot trailers, and all three are in operation everyday.

The admissions person explained their requirements, their training, what they had to offer, and answered all my questions about the school. I took a certified copy of my Florida driving record and was provided their application. Once the voucher was provided (I went through the WIA program) I was sent to get a drug test. This school has a flat rate and does not charge you if you need extra time to learn (this goes for all students). If you do not pass the course you will be given more training and take another exam at no extra cost to you.

The first week was spent mostly in the classroom studying to obtain my permit. Towards the end of the first week, I spent time on the track learning how to operate the trucks, put them into gear, and park them. They have their own on-site examiners, and seven instructors. One of the instructors will be testing you, and you won't be working with the one who tests you. All of the instructors were courteous, patient teachers, and have many years of truck driving experience.

My second week was spent mostly on the track learning how to park the trucks and perform a pre-trip inspection, some time was spent in the classroom. I also went on the road and learned how to drive a manual transmission. Student to Instructor ratio was 4/1.

The third and fourth week were similar to the second, but there was very little if any classroom time. They have good job placement opportunities. Quite a few companies are willing to hire from their school, and during the time I was there they had several recruiters come by.

During the course we were shown how to perform the Pre-trip, In-cab, and LAB inspections 4-5 times. We were shown how to perform a Drop & Hook about 4 times, and were also shown a tandem slide. Everyday (unless we were on the road) I was given ample time to practice all the backing skills. All together during the course, I drove on the road 5 times. Every question I asked was answered. Every explanation is given as many times as it takes for you to understand it. They make every effort to ensure that their students understand, are prepared, and can perform their job.

I had a positive experience and do recommend their school. I apologize if the writing is all over the place, I’m not that good at it. I hope this review helps someone out. Blessings to you all.

albert l and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the overview. Any idea what company you'll begin your career with?

4. winningsoul

May 24, 2017
    I would like to team drive with my Dad. If I don't, then I'll wait to receive my Hazmat Endorsement before applying at a company. I already submitted the application, and I was told it would take about a month to receive the license.

5. Kstrong86

Kstrong86 Medium Load Member

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    Can you list the local companies that was willing to hire you right out of school? I live in Davenport,FL and couldn't find anything that was hiring in that area.

6. winningsoul

May 24, 2017
    Sorry for the wait. Off the top of my head I can remember just a couple of them as I already had the company I wanted to work for in mind when I started school. Abilene Express, Windy Hill, Knight, Covenant, Werner, Cypress, Swift, CR England, and others I can't remember. I know there are some good ones, especially if you have a Hazmat endorsement. If I had paid more attention I would have given you a better reply.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.