Rider policy - Werner and Central

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by KaiGywer, Apr 2, 2007.

1. KaiGywer

KaiGywer Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Hey there. I am looking into starting to drive, and I'm looking at Central Refrigerated and Werner. The reason I am looking at these two is that at my current job, we get reefers from these two companies in daily, meaning I run a good chance of getting a load to right by where I live.

I have read lots of bad about Werner on this forum, but on the other hand have talked to several drivers from Werner in person at work, and they all seem happy.

My question is: Can I bring my girlfriend as a rider? Also, can my 16 year old sister come with?

If anybody knows anything about either of these two companies, please let me know.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    You need to contact the companies for their rider policy, as those rules may change from time to time. A quick phone call will get you a definitive answer. Be sure to check on the monthly cost for the rider policy as well.

As for those companies delivering to where you work, don't let that be a deciding factor. First, those contracts could be lost at any time. Second, just because you see one or two of their trucks doesn't mean that increases the chances for you to get home more. The company down the street might never use them and have twice as many loads coming in. Pay attention to what the company has to offer in terms of benefits, talk to plenty of drivers to see what the company is like, check out every area you can to get information.

As for Werner, I hear some bad things about them here, but haven't experienced working for them. It has been 3 years since I was on the road, but when I was out there, most of the Werner drivers I talked to seemed pretty satisfied. Much can change in 3 years though.

4. rangerman1

rangerman1 Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Cheney, Wa
    Last I heard, the minimum age was 12, and had to be an immediate family member. ;-) They went on to define "immediate" Does'nt include uncles, cousins, etc. But if memory serves, siblings WERE allowed, girlfriends were not...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.