Risk of cancer etc from gas and diesel fumes (small tanker delivery)

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by dirtmerchant, Oct 23, 2012.

1. dirtmerchant

dirtmerchant Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2010
    south carolina
    Today i started a new job driving a small tanker truck delivering diesel and gas to farms, logging companies etc. while loading this truck there are fumes coming out of the tanks we are loading. my throat is sore and it feels like i got this crazy film in the back of my throat also. i realize the guys driving the combination tankers probably dont have to deal with this as much. so my question is for the guys who drive the smaller ones( if there are any on here). do you guys wear any kind of mask or any protection? ive never seen anyone else doing it, but it just seems like 20 yrs of doing that would be a sure way to get cancer. and i do realize you get cancer from everything now so please spare me the bs, haha. the guy training me has been doing it for over 30 yrs and seems fine to me. i dont think i can do this everyday and breathe that stuff in like that. we have to fuel 60 to 70 reefer trailers everyday. most of them are pretty close together and not much wind coming thru em. i tried searching the forum for similar questions but didnt see any. your thoughts and comments?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    If it is bothering you I would suggest some sort of mask to wear, esp on days when it is not windy enough to keep the air movement. I am not sure if a particulate mask something like drs wear would be enough or not, that is something you may need to check out. Of course there are the heavy duty masks with the replaceable cartridges like painters use or the ones you see on war movies. If in doubt, be safe.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-8214-n95-respirator.html This is a welders mask on the 3M website, it comes 10 to a box and costs $60.61. Don't know how long they last for that price,.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/3m-8200-respirator.html This is the plain Jane, supposed to be good for woodworking, and grinding, sanding, dusty conditions, (not sure about vapor), $11.81 for 20 == 59 cents each not including shipping, tax.

You might be able to find them cheaper at a paint store too.

dirtmerchant Thanks this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK, this may be a dumb question. BUT. Can't you move enough to get away from the fumes? At least so you are not breathing them.

5. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    dont you know diesel's good for ya. puts hair on your chest

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  6. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Regardless of the potential carcinogenic effects long term exposure may or may not have, if it's bothering you it's worth wearing some level of ppe. A particulate filter is going to do very little, if anything. You are most likely going to need a respirator of some sort with filter cartridges for what you are being exposed to.

Talk to your boss, they may have them already, or may pay for one if they don't and you tell them the fumes are getting to you. If not, you can go to an industrial safety store (airgas usually has little stores with safety stuff, but there are many others) and tell them what you are doing and they should be able to set you up with what you need. Keep in mind that the filter cartridges need to be changed periodically, and most respirators require some special care and training in order to be used effectively.

When it comes to your health and safety, it's always best to err on the side of caution. You can't undo the damage after it happens.

Big Don and dirtmerchant Thank this.
  7. bigeye

bigeye Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2012
    mid west
    I'd find diff job then if its bothering you
    you are in control of your life

8. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    If you smoked (please do not try this. Its an attempt at humor) a cigarette or cigar during this process that ought to clear up the fumes no problem!:biggrin_25514:

dirtmerchant Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some are more susceptable to cancer than others. Read somewhere, lots of respitory problems & cancer among toll booth collectors and truckers who keep windows down a lot. The risks are much higher though with diesel exhaust fumes than raw fuel fumes.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The problem is, if the fuel has auto-shutoff, it doesn't always work. I've done the reefer fueling similar to what he does & it takes just a second away from the fueling point, to spray fuel everywhere. It's better to keep your hand on the nozzel or very close.

11. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    I hauled gas, fuel oil, and kerosene, when most everything was top loaded, meaning you put the tube in the compartment, pulled the handle until the compartment was full, then moved to the next. Delivered to underground tanks before vapor recovery, where fumes were all around you, did home delivery to above ground and underground tanks. You knelt over the tank and listened for it to fill up so it wouldn't spray all over the yard.

Smelling the fumes are not good for you, I have smelled my fair share. I owned a home delivery fuel company for a while. A driver I employed told me he was going to die of cancer, as all old fuel guys he knew did. He has since had prostate cancer and had a hip replaced.

To your situation. I enjoyed the fuel and oil business. You need to get a respritator with charcoal filters. They are not expensive. Car painters used them for years before fresh air suits became popular, and many still use them. They are fairly easy to find. Keep them sealed when not in use. I kept mine sealed in a new one gallon paint can I got at an automotive paint store. These will absorb all fumes to the point you won't smell a thing. You will know when to change the filters as it will become harder to breathe through or you will begin to smell things through it.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.