RJS - bad news!!

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by ladyvet, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ladyvet

ladyvet Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2018
    We have hauled for this company several times, always produce and always a nightmare! They will tell you that you have to be at the shipper at a specific time -the "load will be ready for pick up at 1400." You get there and the shipper tells you it will be ready at a different time "they're still picking your load..." We have spent a minimum of 4-6 hours past the "pick up time" waiting to be loaded, and most of the time these locations are out in banjo country on a dirt road!

When you call RJS about detention pay they will tell you "We never pay detention unless the shipper/receiver will cover it." You look at the rate con and discover the "appointment times" are left blank. When you tell RJS they told you the load is ready for pick up at 1400, as in this example, they tell you "that isn't an appointment, it's just a pick up time." Play on words if you ask me! This issue has literally destroyed the drive day and any continuity of scheduled loads.

Then there's the lumper fees (which we ALWAYS ask about before we accept a load), and they tell you there aren't any, and you get to the receiver and they refuse to unload you until you pay them. Surprisingly (NOT) there is no after hour service to get it resolved. If this had been a single event it would be different, but it has happened every single time. We won't haul for them anymore.

misterG and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Hate to say it but what you describe is not uncommon when hauling produce. It is why many folks refuse to haul it.

Real bad part is it does get worse with "Your product is still being picked in Mexico and will need to clear customs, you may want to just come back tomorrow."

Tug Toy and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive done a time or two waiting on the Mexican Trucker to bring my load to me from inside Mexico Cross Border Customs.

I can tell you right now the few times Ive done this, it has been made SURE that I will absolutely SIT there ALL day into the night and finally be handed soemthing that probably has a problem to be worked on some more into the second day.

I might even venture to say that maybe just maybe those drivers make sure to sabotage in some way our ability to roll down the road in a timely manner to both make wages and delivery appt.

I advocate dispensing with appointment times and having the shipper call the truck only when the entire load is process, frozen or whatever it needs to be done to be ready to be put into that stupid reefer box in a few minutes. Anything else is a proven waste of time and good money with it.

No wonder people want out of the Produce work.

5. Jonrulerofearth

Jonrulerofearth Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Hueytown, Al
    This is why I haul steel, and only steel. (I work for a steel mill)

Mr_Rick I and Tug Toy Thank this.
  6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I'd think that working for a steel mill is why you only haul steel, but y'know, maybe I'm wrong. :)

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Unless it's some kind of specialty load that's paying a butt load of money (like half a month's pay one way) I won't touch them. I know there are guys who don't mind all of the hassle that goes with produce loads, but it just isn't worth it for me. Plus the smell and the mess in the trailer after you're empty is just icing on the cake.,

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I don’t see the problem with the broker? After it happened to you the second or third time the problem is on your end.

Not trying to be rude, just saying.

9. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I haul steel and only steel, and I don't work for a steel mill. Produce has had horror stories like this for as long as there have been trucks.

PPDCT Thanks this.
  10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Oh, I know. I leave the produce brokering to @boredsocial - I have no interest in it. I'd rather stick to open deck work, and the occassional van loads. It's what I'm good at.

Tug Toy and brsims Thank this.
  11. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I fired my last produce customer two weeks ago. Nothing about it is going to make sense this next 1-3 years.

Tug Toy, Blu_Ogre and PPDCT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.