Road condition detention

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Mahertruck, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Mahertruck

Mahertruck Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Hi everyone ..
    I was driving on I-80 Wyoming I was taking reefer load it was light load only 13000 lb
    It was a crazy wind and they shut down the freeway for light high profile vehicles because it was very strong windy .. I parked at the truck stop until the road condition okay to drive it was almost 5 hours waiting . After this waiting I called the company and I told them I don't think I will make the delivery on time so may I need reschedule the company they did reschedule for delivery time almost 48 hours after the first schedule i need to wait one an half day for the new schedule
    Do I should to get detention pay for this Or layover pay ?

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Back in the day it was TFB lol...I don't go thru Wyoming if I think things might get ugly .

4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Why are you asking here and not asking the people you work for?

5. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    You should have asked for a repowered load, possibly a team. They might have been able to get the load there on time. Take the load on down the road toward its destination. Switch trailers and learn where to take the new load.

6. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Because they already told him no.

CrappieJunkie, bigguns and pattyj Thank this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I doubt you'll get extra pay after all 80 wasn't closed to semis was it?There's going to be many times you will have to park it due to bad weather and out won't get paid extra for it.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No and no and no.

DO make a new appointment.

YOU did the right thing, hole up somewhere and wait out the NOAA issued high wind warnings or a state closed interstate.

That load's safety from damage and loss is ultimately your first responsibility. I don't care if I have a appointment with St Peter today, I'll be holed up waiting out a most certain bad weather event if possible.

I remember with some clarity holding up in a Petro in east wyoming I think it was waiting for several mountain passes towards Salt Lake to quit piling snow and raging wind. I wasnt gonna take that truck into THAT mess, no way. (Not to mention the crappy pile of tire cables on my stack and not like actual chain... forget it.) it only took about 30 some odd hours before i got moving again. They hated it. They yelled. They made threats. But ultimately it was delivered into Salt Lake and I was not dismissed. It's unfortunate that the existing culture of bad dispatching pays no respect to what I think is or is not safe. They are sitting back 2000 miles at a nice cozy office with coffee and doughnuts, Im the one on the scene who has to decide if it's go time or whoa time.

BUMBACLADWAR and dan31186 Thank this.
  9. Mahertruck

Mar 9, 2017
    It was closed for light trailers high profile vehicles
    I saw some trucks was going but they have a over 30,000lb
    Or up I guess

10. Mahertruck

Mar 9, 2017
    I didn't asked the company about this dude
    I'm just asking this one count detention or layover ?
    Because sometimes the road condition make your trip another one day or 2 day extra .. I know the safety number one that's good thing ..

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    A handful of companies pay "detention" in such situations. Marten Transport comes to mind. But as a general rule? No. This is just a typical reality of truck driving. Some drivers shut down when the first snow flake hits the road, so you can imagine how such a policy might get abused. Road closure is a different animal, but just the same, don't expect most to pay anything for this time lost. They have enough issues paying late fees and begging for new appointments that work.

jammer910Z and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.