Road King Mic's

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by brinkj23, Mar 7, 2009.

1. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Are the road king mics really worth the 60 bucks or whatever they cost? Just curious cause the guys that tuned, peaked, and did the finals in my radio said I should get one. I cant turn my mic gain all the way up with my wilson mic right now and the guy said with a road king I should be able to turn the gain all the way up? Thanks for any info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

Well the RK 56 and the Astatic 636 are the best mics you can get and are alot cheaper on the net then in the truck stops. I can get Astatic 636 mics for under 30.00 on the net.

Another better then stock mic is the Skythumper ST 65.

Stay away from powered mics.

Oh and why is it you can not turn your mic gain up? Is it because it is squeeling due to Talkback? If so then turn the TB off or get it taken out of the radio. It is not needed unless you like to listen to yourself.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I use an RK. Have had it for many many years.

I never turn the mic gain over half way. What's the point? Other than over modulating. If your radio is tuned right to begin with....cranking the gain shouldn't be on the list of things to do.

People hear me fine, say my radio is loud and clear.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  5. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Yeah I get out fine and peoplesay my radios loud and clear only got the mic gain up half way. I like having the talk back in my radio so I know im getting out and not squeeling or sounding like crap. But when I turn the gain up past half way it squeels real bad when I key up. Just wondering if I should get a RK or just stick with the wilson I got, think i'll notice a difference? Thanks

6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I'm not familiar with a Wilson. But an RK does add a bit of bass to the voice. And the Astatic's sound "tinney" too me.

I say if what you got works. Leave it alone. That's were most drivers mess up. Constantly tinkering with a radio, until it's totally screwed up. When there was nothing wrong with it at all, to begin with.

7. hs1125

hs1125 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2008
    S-W Ontario
    I have a RK mic and an Astatic and prefer the Astatic mic without a doubt using on a Stryker SR 490 hp

8. arky870

arky870 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    moulton,al
    copper electronics has a pretty good price on mics.a noise canceling mic is a must to me.look around you can beat 60 bucks for it.as far as your mic gain goes your radio man should have set it so that it does not have to be cranked up.

9. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

Justr because the talk back sounds good, it doesn't mean the radio is sounding good on the other end.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. Bigstretch

Bigstretch Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2008
    NW IL
    VERY true. It can still be sqealing, too.

A noise canceling mic is a must have item, especially if you run straights. Love my Astatic 636L. Got rid of the background noise and much clearer than the stocker on my Magnum.

11. JSmitty

JSmitty Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Midland Tx
    You can get Astatic 636L's on ebay all day long for $25.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.