Roadway Express, Inc. - Akron, Oh.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by brisk, Jun 6, 2006.

1. brisk

brisk Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2006
    I worked for roadway before I went to overnite in the mid 1990's. I thought the union pay was a good thing. Well its good if your fulltime and not a casual. I was a casual and it sucked. There were people like me but with more senority who were casuals wanting someday to get fulltime. I had to live next to the phone all week only to get called in to work only on the weekends. The fulltime guys all had a mental union mentallity. And I do mean lots of them were brain washed mental. What the union casual thing does is make you work with no benefits waiting to get on fulltime someday. If you want to be a line haul driver at roadway, you must first sacrifice alot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    this is basically the same thing at Yellow. the non-union guys get paid higher wages, but no benefits. if you get "put on the list" then your pay drops, but you now get the benefits. call me old fashion, but at my age, i want money AND benefits. this is why i will not work "casual" at any union job.

maybe when i retire, nah, i don't want to ever see myself working any trucking job when i retire.............

4. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    I see roadway hasn't changed much,ltl hauled for them in 1971-72, helped load my truck,had to call in by payphone every hour for pickups, sleep on the side of the road to get done in 10 hrs instead of 8,had a cycle then to ride,wanted to finish early,no way,union steward said sleep for 2 extra hours,I was worried about getting fired for sandbagging,but found out they all were. I too,did not make the list after a whole year,waiting by the phone,always called wednesday and worked wedn thru friday,got 40 hrs a week sometimes.Like you say,not for everybody.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Where I work they frown on drivers being on the dock. We don't load trucks here. Thankfully, I work a rural area where pick-ups are rare.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  6. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Yep,its better in some places,I still recommend roadway.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Just to clarify, I don't work for Roadway. I work for a different LTL.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.