Robot trucks?? Are you kidding??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by izifaddag, Sep 16, 2017.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    There is a thread running called

"Uber Freight?! What is this madness?!?!"

I was interested in the Uber angle so I read it but it got twisted towards the subject of automated trucks.
    Now I am not proposing to cut and paste my posts from there here or repeat what I said. Go take a look.
    I have applied a lifetime of electrical engineering knowledge and experience with big electrical engineering companies around the world to this problem.
    I know more than a little about RF and how stuff of this nature works. Sometimes it is best to use your common sense + life experience to analyse a potential threat.
    Robotic trucks are a very good example.
    I think the entire thing is worth watching but is zero threat and is going to remain like that for a very, very long time. I would say 20 years before this even tickles the current industry.
    I think almost all of the news and so called steps forward are piffle, utter nonsense.
    I love technology and am a BIG fan of Elon Musk and Uber and Google. For me it is fun watching YouTube videos about powerwalls and the uses of 18650 batteries. I buy DC - DC buck boost circuits from China and mess with them in the truck. I have a lifetime of this tech stuff behind me.
    AND YET I think robot trucks are a dumb idea.
    I am not a luddite but I think this stuff is so overblown by the industry and the media in general. It is coming but not anytime soon.
    Apologies for this rant but I think it is overdue.

Dino soar, Tb0n3, M T and 6 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. yournamehere

yournamehere Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Im currently driving uber/lyft in San Francisco. A Company is paying me 4k to put cameras and sensors in my car for a year as I drive. When i went in for the install there were hundreds of automated vehicles with all sorts of equipment on them.

I have long shared your skepticism...hell, my GPS can't get me to a customer 10% of the time, so how is an automated vehicle going to work if a GPS has issues so often, right?

I don't know though...seeing a giant garage full of cars like that and all the folks working on them made me stop and think for a minute.

~interesting side note. They intend to subsidize rides when these automated cars go online. I.e. the car stops for food and coffee at starbucks on the way to drop a carload of workers at their job...all riders agree to spend X amount at starbucks=the ride is free. That creeps me out...too much steering of my life. Heh...steering.

IluvCATS and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Everything you have written is true.
    However there is a huge difference between somebody having cameras and sensors installed in a car and an automated big truck. 2 different animals.
    The truck must stay in the center of the lane, it has to accommodate bad weather, it has to react to sudden nutty 4 wheelers. There are roadworks to consider and the whole time management thing. There are also a ton of on the spot decisions and by the side of the road jobs.
    GPS isn't bad but all you need is a tunnel or bad weather. Back to infrastructure again, so we put guides down a tunnel. How many tunnels are there in the USA? Who is paying for those guides??
    Radar is a disaster as can be seen by Onguard. Cameras? Pointed at what? The white lines? Those same white lines that completely disappear due to road works or snow?
    Common sense dictates that these guys have only a limited place in the scheme of things.
    The only real way to do this is a guidance system. A rail, or beacon or cable. Beacons would need to be connected to the grid with local power supplied from solar. A cable or rail can be used to bounce an RF signal off. This can give distance and position.
    It doesn't matter how you slice and dice this it is going to need infrastructure changes. Nobody will want to pay for it.
    GPS, Radar and cameras won't do it. It will need those PLUS RF guidance.
    Money, money, money.
    I will believe it when I see it.
    They will come but not for decades and I do not care what the press says. Those writers have watched one too many Jetson episodes.

spyder7723, NavigatorWife and MrEd Thank this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The government can't even maintain the current road network, what makes people think we can suddenly maintain the extra infrastructure that will be needed for robo trucks to actually get the job done?

I think about as far as we will see is similar to tesla auto driving where it just maintains a lane on the road between whatever speed you set. The whole autonomous driving isn't different than any other, the customer has to want the product and pay for it. For cars, I see that as a long way off. For trucks, it might pencil out as a positive roi, you still need the customer to pay to ship on your autonomous truck. How many have to screw up before people want a stupid human at the wheel? Same reason we still have pilots and train engineers- we are not ready to purchase the service that isn't human controlled because as much as people would like to believe, this world is not perfect and does require at times a human to have a synapse...

6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The technology don't need to be ready if you have agressive marketing. Just look at Microsoft.

WildTiger1990, rank, fargonaz and 2 others Thank this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And even the most advanced self driving features, at least if to listen to Musk, was just ruled to be the cause of a fatal wreck by NTSB.
    Then there is the face Uber is so far behind the curve right now, they literately need to scrap everything they have worked on, and start over with proof the the Google engineer they hired to do the job did not use Google tech to do it. (There is a lawsuit the Uber basically admit the engineer stole all of Google's property)
    Then, like @gokiddogo said, the roads would need to be actually navigable.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    rank, NavigatorWife and izifaddag Thank this.
  8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    A computer cannot, at least yet, look down into the cabin of a four wheeler and see the idiot texting while steering with his or her knee, and then with near 100% certainty predict what that driver will do next. When that day comes, we may have to be concerned, right now, I am not losing any sleep over any of this nonsense.

9. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    All these posts express pure common sense. You are all absolutely right. It is a pipedream. The media loves it but according to the media back in 1966 we should all be driving private hopper jets by now. It isn't going to happen.
    The best way to transport large amounts of cargo was going to be airships - what happened to that plan?
    Stuff does come from left field like smartphones and the internet. It is usually stuff that we stumble onto through a chain reaction. Autonomous trucks isn't one of them. This needs to stay in that movie Logan.
    Best to stay calm and ignore the whole thing because although not impossible it is unlikely.
    We should be more worried about ELDs and where that is ultimately going to go. Wait until that gets a proper grip! Logging is going to be the least of it. You will be flagged as you pass under the boom. All data about you, your truck, your cargo, any illegality will all instantly show on a screen. All brought to you by technology already in place, it will cost very little to go from here to there. Mark my words. ELDs - be afraid be very afraid.

Rollr4872 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  10. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Ive never really read too much about this type of stuff. But here is my simple view. Living in a big city, I will take driving alongside a computer driven car over the mass of distracted drivers all day long. As far as letting computers handle 80,000 pounds moving down the road at 65mph .... welp i only hope those computers have their own highway system and that humans never have to drive alongside them.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    They won't drive in big cities, they won't drive in a Winter storm, they won't drive where it is not reasonable for them to drive, they won't drive with time critical freight,not yet. They could drive any other time and anywhere else, loaded with freight that is not critical. I can see a convoy of self driving trailers with a cowboy overseeing it. But how would it be different and better from Australian truck trains or intermodal trains at all - I don't know. However, they will slowly become reality and soon as they are more profitable than those idiots abusing equipment, idling when there is no need to idle, throwing out the window their pee jugs, littering WalMart parking lots etc. their numbers will grow in large amount. I also doubt that they will be any more lethal than human driven trucks so often distracted by smartphones and what not.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.