Rock chip repair?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midnightrider909, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I just noticed this and I’m wondering if there is some service that comes around repairing rock chips. I know there are places in my hometown that do it for passenger cars. My question is it legal to repair this on a CMV or do I need to get a new windshield? It’s on the passenger side and not in the driver’s line of view. The companies that I used to drive for in the past as a company driver would replace windshields rather than repair of them but I own my own truck now and I care about the bottom line so do I need to replace it or can I just repair it? It is about as large as the pad of my thumb.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    You can buy a kit for around $ 10 and fix yourself. Before it turns into a long crack. I have one on Drivers side now just bought kit.

stillwurkin and mitmaks Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Go to safelite.com, have them come out and do the repair.

Seeing you know everything about making big bucks, you should have already reviewed your insurance policy about windshield repair and/or replacement ;)

5. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

That definitely needs fixing or repair. Its bigger than a dime and that will cause you issues if you get inspected.

Pressed reply too soon.

Good luck, let us know what you used please. I have no experience with that but would like some knowledge in my back pocket for the future.

Midnightrider909 Thanks this.
  6. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
    The company I leased to has the insurance. Repair is cheap so I’ll pay that out of pocket. Thanks for the tip!

7. Midnightrider909

Oct 26, 2016
  8. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Personally if it's on the passenger side and not in my direct line of vision I don't even worry about it.

When you I do replace the windshield, I replace it with OEM glass, not Made in China glass.

I've noticed that Made in China glass chips much easier than OEM glass.

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Whatever you decide you should probably do it quickly. The first morning you wake up with a frosty windshield and turn on the defrost, that sucker will probably migrate from end to end.

Blackshack46 and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I very much disagree with this.
    The problem is leaving the chip there is it will crack, and that crack will likely be at the most inconvenient time. Chip repairs are cheap and fast. Like Ridgeline said, just call safelite and they can likely do it on your 10 at the truckstop.

11. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I would get it repaired and be prepared to get a new windshield by end of winter if it can last that long. You know as soon as you get a new windshield a rock will get it, dang that murphy law.

stillwurkin and Midnightrider909 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.