Rock in the stream: the Safety Dept. lied to you!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Hammer166, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I had published this elsewhere in the past, but figured a larger audience could stand to hear it...

But it’s not really lying as much as it’s misinformation. The big lie that is taught is the whole “Rock in the Stream” idea. In multiple discussions, it’s come up over and over again as being part of the Smith System of defensive driving. So let’s take a peek: SmithSystem.jpg

I know a lot of drivers mock the Smith System, but the reality is that if you’re a good defensive driver, you already use these ideas. I wasn’t exposed to it until I’d been driving almost 10 years, but I realized right off that these were the exact same tactics I’d used when riding my motorcycles, and that I carried into my driving career. You largely operate as if you are invisible to other drivers. But I don’t want to get sidetracked, so we’re only going to talk about #4, the only place where the rock idea could possibly fit.

The thinking presented by the safety industry is that by occupying the middle lane at less the average speed, you’re minimizing what the driver must deal with, allowing him/her to focus more on what’s in front of them. And that’s largely true in dense urban areas with an exit every mile or two. But it doesn’t necessarily jive with “Leave Yourself An Out,” once you've moved out where the exits are a few miles apart. The concept is to make sure that if things go badly awry, you have an action you can take to get your vehicle out of harm’s way. That could mean a lane change or it could just mean slowing down. But the idea is to always be aware what’s around your vehicle at all times, front, side, and rear. The reasoning is that it’s far quicker to verify the situation and react than it is to analyze what’s around you on the road, make your decision, and react. And 38 years of trucking gives me the experience to tell you that’s true. You already know your options, you’re just verifying, and it’s easy to move to next if the first is invalid. Compare that to having to determine your options and then decide which is the best. You’re simply reducing the amount of information your brain has to process to make a decision. Verifying can result in almost instant reaction, analysis inherently takes longer.

But when you’re the rock in the stream, suddenly you’re needlessly dealing with passing traffic on both sides of your vehicle. And instead of leaving yourself an almost guaranteed out with the shoulder, you’re now have to keep in mind closing traffic on either side of you. You’ve actually made it harder for the driver to ensure they have an out.

We won’t even get into the incredibly frustrating effect this has on traffic flow, with a vehicle as much as 15 mph below the speed limit occupying the center lane and causing a congestion bubble around that truck which further increases risk, as that truck is now in an artificially high traffic area.

So why is this taught? Herein lies the BIG LIE. The big fleets teach this for one reason, and one reason only, it’s to reduce liability. The reality of this occurred to me after reading and listening to an assortment of drivers talk about how their safety departments encouraged less scanning of the mirrors (if you watch, few of the rolling roadblocks ever look in either mirror) and more attention to road ahead. Why? If someone hits your moving vehicle from behind, it’s very hard to make the case that you are in any way liable for that accident.

So, there it is. Instead of actively trying to teach their drivers to be the best professionals they can be, safety departments across our industry are only worried about covering themselves in any civil proceeding. Being a safer driver is a secondary consideration, and you should examine every thing taught by your safety department through the lens of that knowledge. Because it’s very unlikely to be the only lie you're being fed.

HoundDog7, Banker, Numb and 28 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    I’ve always thought this was an asinine statement. Whoever thought of it obviously has never seen a mountain stream.

When you have a large open stream the water is smooth and calm. The moment you put a big ### boulder in the middle of it the water is squeezed to either side. It causes the water to speed up as it’s trying to get around this rock. This is what creates white water rapids. White water is the most dangerous part of a river.

So in my pea brain I would think you wouldn’t want to be the rock in the stream. You are basically a road hazard. Being a floating log in the stream seems much safer.

4. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I trained with a guy, at a previous employer (Smith advocates), who echoed the middle lane idea. At that time, I was at the 25yr mark and he at 27yrs, so ~52yrs of accident-free experience between us.

Headed south, on I-35, rolling through DFW, he encouraged me to use the middle lane, which opened a discussion. I explained exactly what you assert above. What I ended up showing him blew his mind. I stayed in the right lane, set the cruise at 40mph, and strolled along. Even with all the traffic, construction, merging vehicles, I think I only touched the brakes like 4 times. As we exited the south side, most all the idiots mashing the accelerator and brake pedals were still within eyesight. He couldn’t believe how easy I made it look, driving through that mess.

When rolling an easy, controlled speed, it eliminates the inchworm effect on yourself and those behind. Also, merging traffic are able to better assess whether they need to speed up or slow down; there’s no competition with them.

Years ago, when I spent a lot of time in Chicago, I asked a container driver why they always ran the right lane and poked along. He basically explained the same concept I described above. Once I paid attention to those guys, I realized I wasn’t getting anywhere, any faster. They usually were within sight, no matter how many miles later. Likewise, many of the California day cab drivers practice the same concept. It sure makes metro areas a whole lot less stressful.

5. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I was taught Defensive driving back in the 70’s, long before Smith System. And never once was told to be in the middle lane doing as described.
    As said previously, you get in the right lane and go with the flow or slightly slower.
    And keep scanning your mirrors.

6. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    One of the WORST places in the country for this is I-10 from the TX line to Las Cruces/I-25 split. 3 lanes each way, speed limit of 75, rural desert exits about 5 miles apart, and the usual suspects clogging the middle lane at 62-65. When I drove a 30 ton in the area, I would blow their doors off, never leaving the right lane, and scare the crap outta them as that 7" straight stack roared by. They never saw me coming because they were too busy watching TV or playing with their phone.

7. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’ve always tried to drive as far to the right as was appropriate for my speed. Sure, I move over to the left to pass, or if I’m in a congested area with a lot of exits, but out on fairly open highway, I stay to the right. I purely hate being passed on the right, and I strongly prefer not to pass on the right myself, because it’s just not as safe.

8. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    I still can't belive they teach people how to create congestion and ensure drivers will become more aggressive just to try and get around that rock.
    Do they not know that creating the congestion leads to even more danger!

9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    In heavy traffic I'm usually in the right lane for that reason, I have an out if I need one. And with all the middle lane slugs you usually end up ahead of the slow guys. The cars coming on the highway in rush hour don't really bother me because they do that day in a day out and most of them know how to merge.

10. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Harold Smith basically invented defensive driving. The 5 keys date to 1952.

Smith System History | Changing driver habits since 1952

11. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    They don't care. Or tort system has become so broken that trucking isn't the only industry that does nonsensical things for the sole purpose of reducing legal exposure to often frivolous lawsuits.

Don't forget that there's been two massive verdicts in the last couple years against trucking companies where it was plainly admitted in court that the only thing the driver did wrong was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The plaintiff in the automobile was solely at fault in the accidents, IIRC they crossed the median while out of control in both cases. And they still won multi-million dollar judgements.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.