Roehl lease option program

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Michelle Trull, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Michelle Trull

Michelle Trull Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2016
    I will be starting cdl school with roehl. (No experience). Is there a minimum amount of miles you must have before leasing from them? Thanks for any response.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    I would suggest you read the multiple threads on TTR advising against leasing before making a decision.

4. Michelle Trull

Jan 16, 2016
    Thanks for info. Will do

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you're going to lease, go with a company that has trucks with Apu's,refrigerators, direct/satellite tv or tv hookups, etc.
    Earl Henderson Trucking
    Wil-Trans
    etc.

Bigfish59 and Michelle Trull Thank this.
  6. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    I wouldn't argue that those items would be nice to have on a truck, but I think his focus should be getting the experience first, then decide if he really wants to lease, then choose what he's "gotta have" and what's "nice to have". I think in some cases APU's, satellite TVs, premium seats etc. are extra cost options that would be difficult to justify financially on his 1st lease.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Those ammenities are factory installed already. Not all companies, but some. Some cpmpanies put that stuff on trucks to encourage lease just like they speed govern lease trucks faster than company trucks.
    Haven't tried to keep up with the different companies, but some, for example, have company trucks governed at 62 but if you lease they govern it to 65. I know one company had that plus refrigerators in the lease trucks but not in the company trucks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  8. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I went to Roelhs school, stayed there a couple years and moved on. They have excellent training for the most part, but the l/p program is on par with most others in the industry, set up for the company to make money and the driver to still only make company wages. There are some l/p programs out there that are good but are few and far between, I paid my truck off in 30 months while making better than company wages. I suggest you put in a couple years with Roehl, learn the business well and move onto a better company to be an l/p or o/o.

Michelle Trull Thanks this.
  9. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Roehl wants a driver to have at least 6 months experience before going to Lease. I have been running with Roehl for 7 months now and am considering the lease option in the future. But, I agree with Dr. Flush. A few months of experience is, for me, not enough time to learn the business side before making that step. I DO know that Roehl supports their leasees better than a lot of companies.

I am interested to hear what others have to say!

Michelle Trull Thanks this.
  10. Michelle Trull

Jan 16, 2016
    Thanks Everyone. This is all great information. I appreciate the feedback.

11. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

It's not a matter of "how many miles..." Know your company well and know freight before becoming a small business operator. As a new driver, you have much to learn; the chances of seeing one full year aren't good but the chances of you succeeding as a small business operator with no experience are pretty close to zero.

If you're still with Roehl then - and since most new drivers change companies at least once during their initial year, the chances are you won't be - ask the same question January 2017. Until then, stay company. Learn the business and see if you like doing it. It is not at all like CDL school.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.