Roehl paid CDL training... what are your honest thoughts?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by redfurmom, Jul 18, 2018.

1. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I'm considering going with Roehl and I actually filled out their application already. I don't have my CLP yet but I'm studying the material on their site.

Everything I've read seems great as far as paid training, decent home time, etc. but I would love to hear from new Roehl students as well as anyone who has experience working for them. I'm a 29 year old female who has zero experience in this field aside from driving a Uhaul a few times but people on this site have put my mind to ease a bit about females in the industry.

I would just love to know what others think so I can see if my decision to go with Roehl is a good one. Also, is it possible to request to drive solo (after my training is completed) or will I be forced to drive as part of a team?

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Well just understand that they will make you sign a contract to drive for them for a certain amount of time.

If you start with them and realize they suck, you're stuck. I think paying for your own CDL is the best way to go. That way you're not tied to any company. Don't like a company? Walk away and find another one.

Looks like they're only rated 2.8 out of 5 by other employees.

Roehl Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

My company, Ozark, is rated 3.8.

MBAngel and redfurmom Thank this.
  4. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Thanks. On their site it says I have to drive for them for 15 months. I did apply for the CDL program at Alabama's Affordable Truck Driver Training which seems to be a good place and I could get financing and earn my CDL in 8 weekends. Maybe that's the best route? They help with job placement as well

5. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    However, I'm also concerned that I earn too much to qualify for financial help. I net about $21,500 annually. But I don't have $3,000-$7,000 to pay for CDL school either. I may have to go with paid training and just go with the best rated company possible.

How do you like Ozark? Are they paid training, decent home time, etc?

6. T732

T732 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2014
    I drove for Roehl in 2014 - 2015. I did national flatbed. They have very good equipment, stress safety and I did see female drivers around fairly often. I left because of low miles. Lots of loads but very short runs loading and unloading every day. Van may be different. The Affordable Truck Driver Training, I know of them and have good training. The best thing is to pay your own way and some companies will pay your tuition off to a certain amount with monthly payments to you. Roehl does that too. I cant remember how much.

Lonesome and redfurmom Thank this.
  7. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Well from what I've read and the advice everyone's been giving me, I'd much rather go through school and then have my pick of who to drive for. I do owe $1,140 to a community college I had to drop out of a few years ago and didn't know that I did until a few months ago when I went to apply to go back there and I don't know if applying for financial aid for my CDL would flag that or not. If so, it would take me about 3-4 months to save enough to pay that off before I could get financial help for CDL school.

I'm wondering now if I sshould spend the 3-4 months saving to pay that off and then apply for CDL school? That would mean I couldn't start CDL school until December or the first of the year which definitely sucks

8. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Have you looked into Millis Transfer, they have a school I believe in Georgia.

9. redfurmom

redfurmom Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2018
    I actually looked at them but saw that they don't have any locations in Alabama

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  10. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    If you’re interested in them or another option like CFI give their recruiters a call. More than likely you’ll have to travel to another state for in-house training.

11. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Just cuz they have no locations in AL you could still work there. We have a school in Cartersville GA and their training and pay is pretty hard to beat. If you have any questions feel free to ask Im a trainer with Millis.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.