ROEHL "slow freight"

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by J. Michael, Feb 23, 2008.

1. J. Michael

J. Michael Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Kansas City
    i dont know, ive been here since OCT went to evo III in Nov and still have not done my close quarters training. was suppose to go 3 times and all 3 were cancelled. im on 7/3 7/4 and when i am out over the weekend i sit on sunday most of the time. not running of course except this weekend i was suppose to be home fri night and ran out of hrs on my 70/8 which bugs me. i knew i wouldnt make it home in time if i took a run to dallas. but couldnt hardly refuse. but now i will run on sunday after my restart. every one of my trainers said they did not like the switch that was made when roehl went with load planners. the dispatchers dont really have a say. its the load planners. i talked to one guy whos drove for 6 yrs and now 2 with roehl. was suppose to launch on wed but ddnt launch till friday and was waiting in the yard at garland for an empty. hes on 7/3 7/4 and has to wait for the other driver to get back who is always late. there are drivers ive talked to that said there were alot of changes since december that it was not clicking like it used to. "slow freight"?? who knows. I dont. just what others tell me. some run and click real well on dispatches and some dont. timing and communication. It just depends on who you get as a DSR. weekends ? forget it ive had nothing but problems on weekends sundays. i usually sit all day. or relay an empty to another driver and take his load so he can keep running and i can sit all day on sunday for his appointment on monday. i think it depends on experience. but this is not hard at all. heck i was asked if i was sure i could run "almost 500 miles in one day" im like "duh?" any way any comments are appreciated. I like roehl but get some load planners and dispatchers who know what the #*$&# is going on. specially on the weekends not some kid who never drove. it seems like they treat it as a 9 to 5 but this is a 24 hrs business

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Makes no difference who you are driving for.Freight is gonna slow down from Xmas til probably March.Its just a way of life in the trucking industry,and many other industries. Take a little time and talk to some small business owners,and they will tell you there is always a lull this time of the year.

4. ek5858

ek5858 Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2007
    newnan, georgia
    I am not doubting your story, but you can work 8.25 hours everyday and never need a 34 hour reset. You claim you are sitting alot yet you needed a 34 hour reset. You limit your freight options by running 7/4,7,3. Sunday is the worst day to launch, especially this time of year. Good Luck

5. New Driver

New Driver Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Jonesboro, GA
    When you say 8.25, do you mean drive 8.25 hours or drive plus on duty not driving for 8.25 hours. Also, hopefully after driving for 8.25 hours do you sleeper berth for your 10 hours? how many miles a week do you get from driving 8.25 hours a day?

6. Homeboy

Homeboy Light Load Member

May 5, 2006
    touchin' em all
    8.25 hours is just that. If you drive for 8.25 or if you drive for 6 hrs. and are on duty not driving for 2.25, it is still 8.25.

7. ek5858

ek5858 Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2007
    newnan, georgia
    Some days you will work more and some days you will work less. The objest is to try to not use a 34 hour reset while you are out. Try to get the job done using as little on duty hours a day as possible.

8. Moriarti

Moriarti Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2007
    NW Indiana
    Man, that sucks. I suspect it prolly has a lot to do with the weather in marshfield this winter, they really can't seem to catch a break.
    Why is that? I mean, what kind of miles are the dispatch? are these for sunday morning appt times? or for monday, and you get there way too early?
    Yeah, we all do that once.

9. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    what is a 34 hour reset and why is it needed?

10. illegal_eagle187

illegal_eagle187 Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    its a 34 hour break that you have to take from driving if you run out of all your hours for the week.....

11. rumandcoke123

rumandcoke123 Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2008
    everywhere, usa
    The biggest change i have seen in the last 2 years has been that my dispatcher is not a dispatcher. They have a new name "driver service representative". (wonder how many meetings it took to come up with that name) Anyways they have zero control of the freight you get. That is now left to the Load planners (you can't talk to them).

If I was a DSR at Roehl I would be worried about my job. They only seem to be a buffer, and when it comes time to cut budgets somebody higher will say "Hmm what do the DSR's really do" and that will be followed by another
    highly
    educated
    opinion

"nothing at all"

I remember when Smith transport had a great name. See any simularities here?

Also the term is not freight is slow, the correct term is freight is soft in your area right now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.