Roll Off options for a wood products manufacturer

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by DANL, Jul 29, 2019.

1. DANL

DANL Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2019
    I'm a wood products manufacturer in Ca. I recently took over the business from my dad. We've been hauling my waste/byproducts away in 40cy containers for about 20 years, mostly for ag-related use or cogen (back before Ca shut it down). Max range 50 miles.

This year I got a notice that my truck is too old (98), and they're not going to tag it next year. So I'm exploring my options. I could drop 20k on a retrofit and buy another 3-4 years of use, but after 2023 my truck can't run in CA, as I understand the laws. So that seems like a very expensive bandaid at best.

I started looking into newer RO trucks, but they have to be no older than 2010, and the sticker shock is hitting me hard. I might get lucky at an auction, but I'm still looking at 30k minimum. Probably more like 50-60.

I'm intrigued by the gooseneck trailers I've found. I have a 2011 F450 dually that I could pull with, and the math seems to check out. Weight-wise, I think I'm ok. 40 yards weighs about 15k net, plus the bin, so max of 20k. Trailer says it can handle 26k, and the truck GCWR is 38, I think. I've pulled a flatbed gooseneck with 15k payload without any problems, so again, it seems to check out. Price of <25k. One potential hiccup I can see is length. RO trailer has 20 foot rails, and I have 22 foot bins. Is that an issue? What about height? If I have 6.5 foot bins, is that going to be topheavy on a gooseneck?

My dad suggested I look into a 5th wheel RO trailer as well. I haven't found many for sale on the web, so I don't know much about them. I have a 2-axle Intl 4800 that I could pull that with. But there's a lot I don't know. Do they run on PTO or self-contained hydraulics? My truck doesn't have PTO. The few I did find are 48 footers, and that's way bigger than I need. Do they come smaller, like a 24-28?

Am I missing anything? Help me see the pros and cons, please.

I'm also looking at getting a local hauler to make the runs for me, but I don't like that idea. I'm only making 350-400 per load, 10+/- loads a month, so if I have to hire that out my net goes way down.

Thanks. I'm grateful for any ideas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    DANL Thanks this.
  4. DANL

DANL Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Thanks for the link. Hadn't found that one yet. I have the daycab already, so I'm inclined to like this concept. But I don't know how to tell what powers the trailer hydraulics. One of the pups says "Live." Does that mean it is totally self contained, like with a gas engine to run the hydraulics?

Also, the pintle hitch makes me a little uncomfortable. Is that something I should avoid, if I'm using a daycab to pull? Or am I just inexperienced and paranoid? :)

Thanks

5. GreenPete359

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    This is ideal if you need maneuverability remember the longer the trailer the better the ride. Now if you have someone who doesn’t drive a truck often the short trailer may be better for them as well.

https://dragonproductsltd.com/roll-off-equipment-2/shorty-26-st6-roll-off-trailer/

Stay away from anything pintle hook. You need a 5th wheel semi trailer set up.

Now if your going a farther distance a trailer like this would be good...

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trailers/for-sale/32472153/1990-american

The hydraulics are ran by a “wet line” pto. This is basically a pump hooked up to the trucks transmission. Think about a 4 wheel drive pick up truck. There is a transfer case to send power to the front wheels right?...Well in this case your trucks engine provides power to the pump thru your transmission. Most any truck shops or dealerships can sell & install this for you. Should come in around 5 grand installed if i remember correctly.

I would find & buy a trailer before you buy a pump. This way you know you buy the pump you need, no later modifications needed.

All in i say buying a trailer is a long term decision. You’ll go thru 5 or more trucks to that one trailer. When i was running roll off we had 4 of them 26’ trailers and all four were from either 1972 or 1973. They worked daily. Our longer trailers were newer, but not by much. Lol

6. DANL

DANL Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Thanks for the information. That's helpful. I was having trouble understanding how the mechanics of it worked.

How does the gooseneck setup compare?

7. GreenPete359

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Gooseneck would be for a light duty truck, think a F-350 dually pick up truck. I’ve no experience with that kind of set up, all my experience is in a tractor trailer.

i doubt the goose neck would be worthwhile.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.