Rolling up car windows and almost got a DUI. Thank God!!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jun 19, 2018.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Last week I was enjoying my day off from a hard days work by watching some sports and drinking a few beers with some friends. I drank 6 of them within a span of an hour and noticed that it began raining. I forgot to roll my windows up in the car, so I went downstairs (live in apartment complex), put the key in the ignition and rolled them up. As I was rolling them up, I noticed a cop was walking towards me and asked if I have seen any seen suspicious activity in the complex because there have been reports of a burglar in the area. Me being caught off guard by him walking towards me, I left the keys in the ignition. I told him I have not heard anything about it. I kept the conversation as short as possible while he explained that some guy has been burglarizing the area for the past few days. I told him if I hear anything, I'd let them know. He then got a call on his walkie talkie asking where his location was and while he was about to let me go, a female officer walked up with a pissed off attitude about not being able to gather any information about the burglar.

So they decided to conversate in front of me while I'm just sitting there with the door open and one foot out. I took the opportunity to take the keys out of the ignition when the female officer was walking towards the car while the male officers head was turned talking to her from a distance. The female officer came up asked me if I have seen any suspicious activity and I said no. She started looking at me strangely and then cut me off mid sentence asking "have you been drinking"? I told her "what business is that of yours, have I committed a crime?" She then said "well sir, drinking and driving is extremely serious and it looks and sounds like you've had a few drinks". I told her that was ridiculous as I'm not operating the vehicle. She then said "then why do you have your keys in your hand? I told her "again, what business is that of yours? I'm not operating this vehicle as the keys are not in the ignition, I'm just trying to help out your fellow officer on a burglar"

The male officer jumped in and said "yeah I was asking him a few questions about the burglar" and while he was talking to her, she turned and looked at me with the ugliest look.

I then told them both "well I wish I could help you both more, but I really have to get back inside". It seemed like she wanted to give me more problems, but knew she had nothing on me.

I thank the male officer, because when he walked up to me, he could tell the key was in the ignition and turned to the on position. He could have possibly ended up giving me a dui.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like the female officer was pi$$ed about not finding a perp, so she was looking for anything to justify her going out to your apartment complex to investigate. A quick feel of the engine should have satisfied her that you had not driven anywhere. Cold engine = no driving. Plain and simple.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    next time, roll up your windows BEFORE you start toking a few beers.>??

and you were on private property, i'll have to wonder if since you were not actually driving or had the engine running, what could they realistically do.>??

i was under the impression that the engine had to be running, for it to be an OUI or whatever.....

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    You’re lucky. Here if you are in the vehicle with the keys in your possession you can get a DUI even if you are sitting in your own driveway.

6. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The fact is, you do not have to be driving to be arrested for a DUI.You just need to be in the driver's seat of a car and be in possession of the keys. To the law in most states, this means you are in physical control of the car, even though you are not driving. Your keys do not even have to be in the ignition.

We had an Amish kid get a DUI in a horse and buggy while he was passed out and a gentleman get one while riding on a motorized bar stool riding on the sidewalk.

NoBigHurry, rank, Marky84 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I think the female officer had a bad attitude cause you did not invite her up for a few beers!

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's a catch 22.

You can't get a ticket on private property but you can get a dui on private property.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    The states all have different DUI laws, Nebraska it has to be a motorized vehicle and it has to be on a public roadway.The exception to that is if the private property has a public entrance like a retail store, but you would have to check the law in your state.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Seems like it would've been easy enough to beat, as your friends would've been able to witness to the fact that you had not been driving since you started drinking, that you had only gone outside to roll up your windows when it started raining, and that you weren't going anywhere but back inside to resume hanging out once your windows were rolled up.

While it might have been troublesome and possibly even expensive, I doubt it would've gone very far. Prosecutors don't like cases they know they are unlikely to win, and there isn't a jury in the world that would convict under those circumstances with several witnesses testifying on your behalf as to your activities leading up to your interaction with the police as well as your intent when you went out to your car.

Hell, you probably could have told the officers you just came out to roll up the windows when it started raining and were heading right back inside and 99.9% of the time, they aren't going to bother you for the drinking if they're reasonably sure you haven't been and won't be driving under the influence. They know that most cars you can't roll up the windows without the keys, and that nobody is going to sit there and say "Gee whiz, it's raining and my windows are open...too bad I've had a few, because I don't want to get a DUI for rolling them up! Guess my interior is going to get soaked." Anybody who cares about their car is going to walk outside and roll up the windows.

Most of those DUI's in parked cars are because the officer has reason to believe you had been operating drunk, wised up, and pulled over to park before you crashed or got pulled over...or simply got into the vehicle intending to drive, but passed out before you could go anywhere.

When you have several witnesses that state you were not driving, were not going to be driving, coupled with the onset of a rain shower and the fact that no reasonable person is going to knowingly leave their windows open in the rain, odds are pretty good you had nothing to worry about.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Depends upon the state. Hell, when the police chief's mom lived next door, I'd give him a beer when he was mowing her yard and he'd knock mine out, too...sipping on that ice cold beer as he was driving his mower.

snowwy, x1Heavy and buddyd157 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.