Rolling up car windows and almost got a DUI. Thank God!!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jun 19, 2018.

1. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Mr Pedigree.Bulldog.I pulled you over for speeding how are you doing? --------------

Be back in a minute while I check your credentials.

Comes back with a speeding citation..
    Pedigree Bulldog I wrote you a cite.for speeding is this your current address???------------ is this your current address sir?---------------. You refuse to answer. Officer gives you the cite.which I guess you refuse to sign..if so you you are arrested for not signing ( which is not and admission of guilt, just says you will appear in court by said date). If you do sign but still refuse to talk with the officer it could go either way..good luck!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    It is best to cooperate when you are being questioned by the officer, they have the power to make your day real bad. They are just doing a job like you are. They have the gun. It is kind of like fishing, sometimes you catch one, sometimes you do not. If you make yourself into the big fish you may be eaten alive.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Why do you jump off the deep end with your assumptions? Signing the citation is not and has never been an admission of guilt. Your signature only states that you are aware of the charge against you and that your presence is requested at court at the specified time and location. The alternative to being ROR (signing the ticket) is to be hauled in to see the judge now. Not even close to the same thing as simply remaining silent while obeying LAWFUL orders (ie assisting during an inspection by operating the controls as requested, signing a citation or inspection form, etc). If you're in your POV, it is none of the cops business where you're coming from or where you're going. If you're in a CMV, they can get that info from your log book or BOL. If a cop pulls you over for speeding, he already knows how fast you were going...so why is he asking you? He's either trying to get you to lie (which can and will be used against you) by saying you were going slower, or admit to a higher speed than he actually had you clocked (which will get you a worse ticket than if you'd just kept quiet). If he really doesn't know how fast you were going, the ticket he writes won't stand up to a challenge unless he can say you admitted to the speed during the stop.

You have the right to remain silent. The burden of proof of any wrongdoing is on the state. There is no reason to open your mouth and admit to anything.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Until they get it in their head you did something wrong. Then anything you say will only reinforce that incorrect assumption as they twist your words to hear what they want to hear.
    As for the "Just doing a job" line, well just like the shipper/receiver don't have to make my job easier, it's not my job to make theirs easier.

The term I like is "Minimally Polite." Be polite, but only as much as needed to actually be polite and no answering questions and volunteering information.

Canned Spam and Pedigreed Bulldog Thank this.
  6. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    I never asked anyone where they were going when they got a speeding citation..has nothing to do with it...its simple.and to the point, the less.said the better. I am familiar with signing the citation about it not being an admission of guilt.Your right unless you got someone on radar or paced a violator you really don't have much of a case there.

My main point here was I am a bit surprised you would not assist the police if you witnessed a crime..basically you are okay with someone who brutally raped a woman in the parking lot of a convenience store go free because you refuse to give a description of the suspect to the police because you think you might go to jail...am.I correct here?

Also remember this professor is teaching law school and his primary students are future lawyers..of course he is going to advise them not to talk to the po po. Thays what they do.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    No, if I witnessed something like that, the perp wouldn't go free. I'd intervene and put a stop to it, not call the police and allow the rape to continue "hoping" the cops showed up before the perp got away. Any statement I'd have for the police would be made through an attorney.

8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Be respectful and if problems persist complain up the food chain.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  9. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Good Lord would y'all stiop being so serious?

10. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Glad.to hear you wpuld intervene, there is hope after.all!

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

No, because when a cop pulls me over it has to be serious. Too much is at stake to not be.

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.